Author Topic: Help! with excel  (Read 1096 times)

richierich

Help! with excel
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
We have some excel spreadsheets at work that are password protected, and the IT Manager has lost the passwords!, so we cannot open them
Does anyone know of a proggie that can hack the passwords effectively?

cheers
Rich

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

Re: Help! with excel
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »
Karsten I don't know if it still works but a few years ago (Excel 97 I think) password protected files were "openable" with Open Office.  I have OO at home, I can try it if you want.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:59:58 PM »
You mean Rich, not me. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:46:01 PM »
I swear by a site called Petri for a lot of information so I just did a quick search and found this: Excel Password Recovery

I've used something similar before but can't for the life of me think what it was. Also I know it can be done through VBA because a colleague creates macros to do it in the same sheet. The idea being the average user doesn't even know what a macro is never mind thinking to see if someone created an "Unprotect Sheet"! Might be worth a Google, but I think it would probably have to be created while the horse is still in the stable and the door is intact... ;)

richierich

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, we will try using the programs you have linked to and see if we get any joy

cheers
Rich