Author Topic: New equipment - analyze phase  (Read 6643 times)

xyrano

Re: New equipment - analyze phase
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 11:27:27 PM »
:o
It sound as if you've built one or two PCs in your lifetime  :D

PCs ?   I thought this was the thread about installing a central A/C system :hysterical:
:hysterical:  :hysterical:

RossRoy

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 12:21:02 AM »
That HT Card looks good, but I have acoustic guitar and a mic that I wish to plug in as well. So, I need 2 of those big silvery connectors displayed on this image.

Wow! You're in a whole other league with that soundcard!  :o

You're in luck, the Vista drivers for the 1010LT are "in development"

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
 :stars:

xyrano

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 07:03:40 AM »
That HT Card looks good, but I have acoustic guitar and a mic that I wish to plug in as well. So, I need 2 of those big silvery connectors displayed on this image.

Wow! You're in a whole other league with that soundcard!  :o

You're in luck, the Vista drivers for the 1010LT are "in development"

:)

That is good to know.
At least they've started with 32 bit track. I wonder how long it will take for them to release a non-beta driver for Vista 64bit ???

:hmmmm:  I guess M-Audio doesn't expect many home musicians to go Vista any time soon.

You know, the only "real" reason for me to go Vista is if I decide to continuously get games designed for Vista; Halo 2 comes into mind.
And I can't tell you how >:( I am about that marketing... euhm... trick... :redcard:
Of course, if I get a Xbox360 then that "problem" no longer exists :yahoo:

RossRoy

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »

Depends. If you prefer playing your FPS with a keyboard and mouse instead of a controller, then you have a whole new "problem" ;)

But for having played all three Halo games on Xbox/X360, they are well calibrated for the controller, and I prefer a controller to play games anyway.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 04:41:26 PM »
I was thinking about getting a screen that can be hung on the wall, that way I would have the entire desk clear for everything else.
I gonna have to find some store around here that can give demo of how a desktop will be displayed on a 30" or higher screen. If I can't find one, I think I'll go with a 24" screen. Tell me, what was/is the pixel guarantee on that ViewSonic you got, 1, 2, 3 or more?
Guaranteed maximum pixel damage? I honestly don't know. I know that mine was without any problems when I got it (and still is, as far as pixels are concerned).

Currently I notice a "blueish" shadow at the top and the bottom of the screen, which gets less noticeable if I reduce brightness (I like my brightness all the way up). I thought I remember someone once said to display a white image for a while to reduce such burn in (which I hope that's all it is) and hope it gets a little better after that. (I think it comes from the blue window frame and the taskbar at the bottom as well as the gray menu at the top and information bar at the bottom). So far I have the feeling that it's helping, but I may be imagining things. :laugh: But as I said, the thing is two years old, so such stuff is bound to happen...

xyrano

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 10:41:30 PM »

Depends. If you prefer playing your FPS with a keyboard and mouse instead of a controller, then you have a whole new "problem" ;)

But for having played all three Halo games on Xbox/X360, they are well calibrated for the controller, and I prefer a controller to play games anyway.
I prefer keyboard and mouse. But, I played Resident Evil 4 on a Nintendo console this summer and liked it. However, RE4 isn't what I would define as a FPS, meaning, fast, strafe (is that a word? :-\ - Sidestep right/left.). If Halo 2/3 was released for PC XP I would not even consider a xbox... Wait... there are more new games being released for consoles now than for PCs, and it is possible to trade a console game right over disc  :hmmmm:

I wish I knew someone that own a xbox360 and Halo 3 so I could try it out myself. Which brings me to this stupid question, Halo 2 and 3; Can I sidestep?  :-[  :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »
I wish I knew someone that own a xbox360 and Halo 3 so I could try it out myself. Which brings me to this stupid question, Halo 2 and 3; Can I sidestep?  :-[  :laugh:

Of course you can strafe!  ;)

xyrano

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 11:05:10 PM »
I was thinking about getting a screen that can be hung on the wall, that way I would have the entire desk clear for everything else.
I gonna have to find some store around here that can give demo of how a desktop will be displayed on a 30" or higher screen. If I can't find one, I think I'll go with a 24" screen. Tell me, what was/is the pixel guarantee on that ViewSonic you got, 1, 2, 3 or more?
Guaranteed maximum pixel damage? I honestly don't know. I know that mine was without any problems when I got it (and still is, as far as pixels are concerned).

Currently I notice a "blueish" shadow at the top and the bottom of the screen, which gets less noticeable if I reduce brightness (I like my brightness all the way up). I thought I remember someone once said to display a white image for a while to reduce such burn in (which I hope that's all it is) and hope it gets a little better after that. (I think it comes from the blue window frame and the taskbar at the bottom as well as the gray menu at the top and information bar at the bottom). So far I have the feeling that it's helping, but I may be imagining things. :laugh: But as I said, the thing is two years old, so such stuff is bound to happen...
It is evidently clear that a "flat" screen has less lifetime then a CRT. Both from what I've read here/elsewhere and seen myself.

I got a TFT at work that has a round area in the center which on a white background with some black text makes the text slightly fuzzy.

It is interesting, I recall seeing a very old CRT (maybe around 7-10y old) that had what you described as "burn in". Compared to what you said, your 2y old TFT screen is already showing signs of this makes me wonder if they are worth the money in the long run.

xyrano

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 11:05:57 PM »

:yahoo:

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 12:25:44 AM »

What's that noise? Oh. It sounds like a PC gamer opening a can of worms...  :hmmmm:

Fancy even having to ask! On a proper gaming platform, such as a PC, questions like that are never asked.  :devil: Stupid consoles! I read a review the other day for the PC version of Gears of War; I was avoiding it because lazy console games are usually difficult to reproduce for the much better PC, but apparently it's so good, it improves the look and the playability. Not to mention, apparently there is an entire level extra which had been removed because the Xbox couldn't handle it!  :hysterical: :tease:

RossRoy

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 02:07:05 AM »
Fancy even having to ask! On a proper gaming platform, such as a PC, questions like that are never asked.  :devil: Stupid consoles! I read a review the other day for the PC version of Gears of War; I was avoiding it because lazy console games are usually difficult to reproduce for the much better PC, but apparently it's so good, it improves the look and the playability. Not to mention, apparently there is an entire level extra which had been removed because the Xbox couldn't handle it!  :hysterical: :tease:

Yeah, but the ease of buying a game and knowing it will work, for the price I paid the game, without having to buy a new video card, or memory, or CPU, etc etc etc far outweighs the "loss" of the keyboard mouse combo, and even the so called lost level  :P

But that's just my opinion.  ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 09:59:34 AM »
But there's no upgrade path on a console and sooner or later, you will want to play newer games meaning the old one is a very pretty doorstop...  :2cents:

Actually my PC is about two years old. I'm going to stick a new graphics card in (about £60) which should lift it just above medium spec and keep it going for another couple of years, before a proper upgrade of the guts. And I'll sell the old guts. Easy!

xyrano

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 12:52:54 PM »

xyrano

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 07:07:01 PM »
 :thumbup:, front line news update!

Today, I got to bring home a new PC!!!
HP Pavilon Elite PC: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 3 Gb RAM, 1000 Gb HD, DVD+-RW DL LS, nVidia GF8600GT 512 Mb, Windows Vista Home Premium.
I expect some vista only games will play beautifully on this machine  ;D  :yahoo:
Looks like I made a 180 turn on some of what was said earlier  :bag:
It just couldn't be helped, cuz I couldn't keep my hands at bay anymore... although... :hmmmm: it may have something to do with that I got Halo 2 (Vista) real cheap this weekend  :laugh:

Next month I try to get a 24" monitor.

Anyway, have a nice evening! Cuz, you know I will  ;)  :whistle: