Author Topic: hey i'm new to collecting  (Read 3110 times)

crabtree3134

hey i'm new to collecting
« on: December 26, 2008, 03:44:48 AM »
I'm just now starting a collection and i was wondering if anyone could let me know what websites or any particular stores you go to to get dvds for a cheap reasonable price
 thanks alot for any help

RossRoy

Re: hey i'm new to collecting
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:29:05 AM »
I usually buy on Amazon nowadays .. I especially like the "Marketplace" stuff. You can get some very deals on it.

Basically, the best advice, IMO, is buy what you absolutely must have on release day. For the rest, wait 6-9 months, and you can usually find them dirt cheap just about anywhere. Also, don't be afraid to raid bargain bins at your local store.

Used DVD is also interesting if you don't mind it.

crabtree3134

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 05:11:09 AM »
yea i heard to look on half.com but i don't really trust too many used dvds online like over ebay because they might be bootleg ya konw

thanks alot
i'm gonna start looking around a lot  :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 05:24:43 AM »
Online I would say DeepDiscount.com's bi-annual sales (usually 20%, but the last one even 25%!) are great. I usually do quite a bulky purchase during those. Next one won't be until June 2009 though.

Welcome to the forum! Stick around.

crabtree3134

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 05:39:01 AM »
yea i've been looking at deepdiscount
do they use paypal by any chance
i'm not too big on credit cards

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
Welcome!

I mostly use Amazon now... but I do still use Deep Discount once in a while. I never been much for credit cards myself. But I do have a debit card... which you can use like a credit card... just need to have the money in the bank to cover your purchase. As far as I know at least... you can't use Paypal on deepdiscount... though I could be wrong.
Pete

crabtree3134

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »
any debit card will work on there?
hah sorry for all the questions i like make sure of what i'm doing before i throw myself into it

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 01:33:37 PM »
I know every one I ever had has worked there. But I believe what you want to do is look at your debit card. See if there is a logo for one of the credit cards. Like mine has a logo for visa on it... even though it is only a debit card it is accepted anywhere that visa is accepted.
Pete

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 01:43:59 PM »
I'd also suggest Columbiahouse.com provided you don't mind manually having to accept/decline their director's selection of the month. Also the prices there work out real nice if you order in bulk - 15-20 DVDs at a time. I generally get to order just a couple of times a year but if I order say 20 I can get 1 on regular price and the other 19 upto 60% off (with free shipping if you have the patience to wait for the order). This way I have bought new release movies 2 disc editions for as low as 9 bucks each. Only thing there is you won't find all the studio's (for e.g.: Disney)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 04:21:23 PM »
Hi! I have gotten guite a few deals by buying used deals from people on this web site as well as invelos.com. Since the people that use these sites are DVD nuts like me the movies have always been as good as new. As far as new DVDs others have mentioned the sites I use. I seldom buy new releases when they first come out because they price drops so dramatically within a year.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 05:46:56 AM »
I'd also suggest Columbiahouse.com provided you don't mind manually having to accept/decline their director's selection of the month.

If you're going to go with Columbia House, do yourself a favor and read some of the threads here.  They have Columbia House down to a science and can help you maximize your dollars.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 07:44:10 AM »
I'd also suggest Columbiahouse.com provided you don't mind manually having to accept/decline their director's selection of the month.

If you're going to go with Columbia House, do yourself a favor and read some of the threads here.  They have Columbia House down to a science and can help you maximize your dollars.

Is Columbia House a US/Canadian thing only or can us on this side of the Atlantic buy there too?

crabtree3134

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »
thanks alot everyone
i'll definately check columbiehouse too

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »
I forgot to mention Big Lots. They often have great movies for $3. I've gotten Roller Ball (the one with James Caan), The Mask, Scooby Doo and so many others for only $3 each.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »
I went to Big Lots last month... unfortunately in my case all they had that was worth having I already owned!  :P
Pete