Author Topic: X-Men Origins: Wolverine  (Read 12363 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 10:04:50 PM »
I want to see it just because of Hugh Jackman's "new" body! :drooling:
I'm completly shock by this :o

What next? Woman will go on sex strike?

:laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2009, 10:30:15 PM »
I want to see it just because of Hugh Jackman's "new" body! :drooling:
I'm completly shock by this :o

What next? Woman will go on sex strike?

:laugh:

You know that strike might actually work! :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 02:29:55 AM »
I went to see it today.  I liked it overall, though it does have some issues.  Gambit is completely out of place and something about his power seemed off to me.  Other mutants are basically shown enough for people that know enough about the characters to realize who they are and then they're gone.  Wade/Deadpool had potential to be a cool character, but he ends up with like 5 minutes of screen time which is a waste.  I know fans have wanted to see Gambit and some of the other X-Men characters in the movies - heck even I had hoped to see Gambit in the previous movies - but the way it was done is wrong.  It was like someone decided to shove in all the popular characters they could instead of doing another proper X-Men movie which sucks.  A well know character turns up in a few times and while there is an explanation for why he is included, it still didn't seem right to me for him to be involved in Logan's history.

I'm not an expert on Wolverine, or any comic book character for that matter, but I have learned a lot about various characters since all the movies started coming out.  I have some books that focus on different comic book characters that cover things from the comic books.  I'm reading one about Wolverine right now.  Anyway, from what I know of his complicated backstory, the main ideas are there, but condensed.  A few different elements are combined.  It's a decent version of the story..though of course things are missing.  The plot is interesting, though it could have been stronger if there had been more focus on other aspects of Logan instead of getting into fights with Victor so much.  A few things do contradict what was established in the X-Men movies, though some of those things can be explained by Logan's memory loss. 

Liev Schreiber worked well as Victor/Sabertooth.  I like his version of the character.

Hugh Jackman was very good as Logan/Wolverine..and he looked amazing.  He goes shirtless more than once and is even naked at one point.  Lots of eye candy for the women.  ;)

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

lovemunkey187

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2009, 03:37:19 AM »
Y'know left out the fudge and toffee as they weigh too much and puts the price up, but still gone for a few jelly teddies, the flying saucers and flumps.

Gesundheit!

Bless you, too

Wade/Deadpool had potential to be a cool character, but he ends up with like 5 minutes of screen time which is a waste.

Ryan Reynolds did it again didn't he? Stole all of the scenes he was in,just like Blade: Trinity.

A well know character turns up in a few times and while there is an explanation for why he is included, it still didn't seem right to me for him to be involved in Logan's history.

I dunno, I thought that it was a good/believable way to get him in the story.

Anyway, from what I know of his complicated backstory, the main ideas are there, but condensed.  A few different elements are combined.

That's what I tried to say, but you did so more eloquently and concise.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2009, 05:01:56 AM »

Wade/Deadpool had potential to be a cool character, but he ends up with like 5 minutes of screen time which is a waste.

Ryan Reynolds did it again didn't he? Stole all of the scenes he was in,just like Blade: Trinity.

Yes he did.

A well know character turns up in a few times and while there is an explanation for why he is included, it still didn't seem right to me for him to be involved in Logan's history.

I dunno, I thought that it was a good/believable way to get him in the story.

The reason for why he was there did make sense with what was going...I just still felt it wasn't right for him to be there.

Anyway, from what I know of his complicated backstory, the main ideas are there, but condensed.  A few different elements are combined.

That's what I tried to say, but you did so more eloquently and concise.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2009, 03:19:14 PM »
We are getting ready to leave here in a very few minutes to see the early showing of the movie... and have our day at the mall. Will let you know what I think when we get home.  :)

I have to admit... feels a bit weird going to the theater again... I haven't been to one since Spider-Man 2 first came out.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »
Have fun.  I hope you enjoy the movie. :)

Oops..I goofed up the quoting in my last post.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »
OK... We get to the movies and I get the tickets. $7.50 each... not to bad for a matinee I guess. Then I made the mistake of going to get popcorn and 2 sodas... $18 and change!!!  :o They make it so you really can't afford snacks that the theater anymore! came to almost $35 for 2 people at a matinee? definitely a little steep. No pop-corn and soda next time I guess.

Ok... I am sure you all won't be surprised as I am easier on movies then most people are... but we both loved every minute of it! This movie will be a must have for me when it is released on DVD! The only downside for me was the way they made Sabretooth look. I think the actor that portrayed him did a wonderful job... but just didn't like the look of the character. I loved Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. And I even enjoyed the appearance of Gambit even if I do agree he should have been in a regular X-Men movie instead of this. I thought they did a really good job at telling us the back story of Wolverine. Now... my enjoyment could be from the fact that I didn't read any of the X-Men comics... so never seen (or heard of) any past origin story for him. So that could have helped a lot.  But all I can say is we both had a wonderful time watching the movie.  ;D
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
We have the same problem over here. We usually go on Tuesdays when the ticket costs only €5.00 instead of up to €9. After we bought the tickets we go to a nearby Döner* diner where we eat and drink for half the price we'd pay in the cinema.

*My nickname is derived from that food.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:56:58 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
I considered not getting any popcorn and soda too... but decided I wanted the whole movie going experience the way I remembered it. But it cost me. Luckily I seldomly ever go!
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2009, 01:33:58 AM »
OK... We get to the movies and I get the tickets. $7.50 each... not to bad for a matinee I guess. Then I made the mistake of going to get popcorn and 2 sodas... $18 and change!!!  :o They make it so you really can't afford snacks that the theater anymore! came to almost $35 for 2 people at a matinee? definitely a little steep. No pop-corn and soda next time I guess.

Ok... I am sure you all won't be surprised as I am easier on movies then most people are... but we both loved every minute of it! This movie will be a must have for me when it is released on DVD! The only downside for me was the way they made Sabretooth look. I think the actor that portrayed him did a wonderful job... but just didn't like the look of the character. I loved Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. And I even enjoyed the appearance of Gambit even if I do agree he should have been in a regular X-Men movie instead of this. I thought they did a really good job at telling us the back story of Wolverine. Now... my enjoyment could be from the fact that I didn't read any of the X-Men comics... so never seen (or heard of) any past origin story for him. So that could have helped a lot.  But all I can say is we both had a wonderful time watching the movie.  ;D

The maitnee is $4.50 here.  I actually got in for $4.00 yesterday because the theater has what they call the early bird special for the first maitnee of the day for each movie. I usually get a drink..$.3.75 now and I don't get popcorn.  I'm not overly fond of it anyway and it is always has way too much salt.  Sometimes I sneak a candy bar in.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.  :)
I agree on the look of Sabertooth...it just didn't seem right, though I liked that the way he was portrayed instead of being basically an animal with 2 or 3 short lines like he was in the first movie.  I did like Ryan Reynolds and think it's too bad his character wasn't around more.  I saw Reynolds on a talk show the other day..he really learned how to use those swords and he demonstrated it on the show.  It was nice to see Gambit in one of the movies finally...it was just the wrong movie. 
I haven't read the comics either, but I've learned about them from a few books I have, so I have ...general knowledge on it.  The movie did change certain things up - like the nature of the relationship between Logan and Sabertooth - but the main ideas are still there.  I think the movie did a good job with the story, though I can also see why fans who have read all the comics might be ..irked as well.

Oh..I forgot to mention it before, there is a scene at the end of the credits.  Did you happen to stay and see it?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2009, 01:39:34 AM »
Well... I hope I seen it. I saw the credits start... then it stopped and showed the part with... I forget what his name was now... he was walking down the street and was stopped by the military. (trying not to give away too much info) The the credits started again. That is when we left as Britt was ready to get out of there. LOL

If I missed it... please put the info in a spoiler for me!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2009, 01:49:46 AM »
There was another one at the very end of the credits.  It was probably shorter than the one you saw, but I thought it was interesting.

(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2009, 02:04:07 AM »
Thanks! I knew we should have stayed... but she was ready to leave
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2009, 02:13:03 AM »
The same thing happened to me last year with Iron Man..my mom went with me and she didn't want to stay.  I did end up seeing that one again in the theater, so I saw the scene then.
Sometimes I've heard ahead of time about a scene so I make sure to stay in those cases.  Other times I stay just in case.  There were several that stayed when I saw this one.