Author Topic: Anybody interested in taking the site ?  (Read 16806 times)

Touti

Re: Anybody interested in taking the site ?
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »
Karsten,

Check the frontpage at http://www.dvdcol.com and refresh it a few times ;)

Touti

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2009, 12:24:54 AM »
 :o  I got some dirty review on my 5th refresh.........shame on you Jimmy  :yellowcard:

;)

Touti

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »
Karsten

I see you figured out a way at just about the same time I did....and you don't even use the membersreviews table.   Well done !

:thumbup:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2009, 12:38:21 AM »
Karsten

I see you figured out a way at just about the same time I did....and you don't even use the membersreviews table.   Well done !

:thumbup:

Hi,

yeah sorry, I asked in the TinyPortal and after they've told me how to do it, I ripped of most parts of your updatemembersreviews.php to get what I wanted.

But thanks for the help :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »
Is it really necessary to filter them out anyway ?  Nothing in the forum requires that you be a member to be able to see it, it's all public and it's all seen by the search engines and visible to anyone who comes to the site so does it really make a difference if some of those reviews are on the main page ?

But I agree with Eric. I don't think there is any need to worry.

I know that I am the one who have bring this to the attention of Karsten, but that doesn't mean that I've an objection to have them on the front page. But the home page is the image of a website and since Karsten is responsible for the place it was just a warning about this. But if he had no problem with that this is perfect for me, everybody knows that I made no discrimination between any genre of cinema.

Jimmy if he comes online and sees something he isn't comfortable with on the main page
I'm comfortable with everything I wrote, I don't run screaming with the hands on my ears when I see a naked woman or man on my tv screen (It would be very tiring at the end of the day) :laugh:

:o  I got some dirty review on my 5th refresh.........shame on you Jimmy  :yellowcard:

;)
Seven for me  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 12:58:07 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2009, 06:03:04 AM »
I've remarked that sometimes in place of a review we got this :

Just want to let you know since it's maybe a bug in the refreshing code

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2009, 07:26:28 AM »
I've remarked that sometimes in place of a review we got this :

Just want to let you know since it's maybe a bug in the refreshing code
I noticed this once, too. I don't know what's causing it, though. And since it loads another review on every refresh there's not much debugging I can do. Let's just hope it doesn't happen that often. I just refreshed quite a number of times and never encountered it.  :hmmmm:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:29:11 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2009, 05:47:02 AM »
Now that is strange... At work I use IE7 and have trouble accessing the site. Today I found that it's somehow related to the main page or at least calling http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/[index.php]. The address bar remains the same, but calling the forum directly (http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php?action=forum) poses no problem, just as any other "sub-page".

I sorted it out for now (using the by-pass to access the forum directly), but I thought you'd want to know.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2009, 07:30:31 AM »
Fascinating. Me, too. But now it works on my side. How about you?

But what did I do? In my PHP script which selects the random article I open a database connection. And as any good programmer would do, I close it at the end. But for some reason beyond my current comprehension, IE doesn't like that (he shouldn't even notice since it's code that runs on the server). When I remove the line where I close the connection, IE works fine, too.

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:
Karsten

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23:54 AM »
Yup, sure enough it's working again now for me too. :thumbup:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was something wrong in IE. After all, Firefox and Safari both have no trouble with it.

Touti

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »
Karsten I don't think this probleme was related to your random review.  I think it was related to the rss feeds, most probably the last two that have stopped working for months.......ever since feedburner was bought by google.

In theese two last blocks I used (and modified) some code that I found on internet to display information in tabs.  It has worked like a char for months and all of a sudden it stopped working, I never found why but sometime after I found that at just about the same time the problems started google had acquired FeedBurner.

I was always afraid of removing the feeds in the front page because I didn't have much to put there but maybe you can replace them by some posts from the forum and put another random review.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2009, 04:53:45 PM »
Maybe you're right. I've disabled them and re-entered the db-close command and IE still shows the front page.

@Achim: Do you still see the FP with IE?
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
I hope that you will not put them again on the front page, why? The page load faster for me (Ive only a 56K conection) and I had to wait for the 3 of them to load even if they were disabled since I didn't watch them.

Another thing concerning the review : Yesterday I've seen one of my review (The Italian Stallion) credited to Dragonfire on the front page. I've check on the review list and the review is credited correctly there, so I've no idea why it happen. By the way, it's not the end of the world (no one here could think that Dragonfire would reviewed that kind of movie  :laugh:)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:22:07 PM by Jimmy »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »
Currently I have two random movie reviews on the home page. I am considering to exchange the second one with a random TV show marathon review.
Karsten

Touti

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »
Karsten,

Maybe as a debugging tool you could change the output of the random review and display the id_topic and id_msg values, when one of us sees something wrong we'd be able to try and reproduce it with the same review to see if something in the message body screws up the display.