Author Topic: What's been going on with me...  (Read 1554 times)

lyonsden5

What's been going on with me...
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »
As you guys (and by guys I mean guys and gals  ;) ) know I really like it here. I enjoy all of your company and, even if I don't watch or review a lot of my own movies I do enjoy seeing what others are watching and buying. Due to some issues I've been having I've had a hard time keeping up with the posts though. Put it this way, when I get to more than one page of unread topics I hit the "mark as read" button and start over. Just did it again this morning. I'm hoping I will be able to get current at some point and stay current again. As I said, there are some issues going on that have had me pre-occupied. I now have some direction with those so I am hoping to get back to normal, whatever normal is  :laugh:. Here's what's been going on...

About 4 months ago I started smelling smoke. All the time. Those of you who go camping know the type of smell I am talking about. It was like sitting around a campfire at night then smelling your clothes the next day. It was driving me crazy at first but I became accustomed to it. I eventually went to see the doctor about it. She sent me to have my head examined (not the 1st person who told me that though :laugh:). I had an MRI in early October. It showed a "something" in my sinus cavity or possibly my pituitary gland. A follow up spiral CT scan showed tumor on my pituitary gland about the size of a sugar cube (called a Pituitary Macroadenoma). This meant a very likely chance of some form of surgery, radiation treatment or chemotherapy. 

Long story and lots of tests and doctor visits later I found out about a week ago there is a chance I may not need surgery. The tumor type I have ( a prolactinoma) will respond to medicine most of the time.  :yahoo: This was really good news. I begin treatment this week. I have some real issues with a few of my hormones being extremely out of whack. It will take some time to get them back on track and get this tumor to start shrinking. If it all works out I may actually get some energy again (things are REALLY out of whack  :-\ ).

It's unclear how long I've had it or how long every thing's been all messed up. If it's been a while who knows what personality changes I may have when things get back to where they should be. It's a bit freaky to think about it actually, so I usually don't. I've been wanting to share this with my cyberfriends here for a while but wanted to wait till I knew more. So there it is.

The only thing is this tumor is most likely not the reason for the smoke smell. I still have to figure out what that is. But without that phantom smell I would have not know about the friggin thing growin in my head.

Najemikon

Re: What's been going on with me...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »
That's a hell of a thing, Rick, and thanks for sharing. Hope they're right and they can beat the little bugger without surgery.

Richard Hammond from Top Gear had an horrendous accident while filming for the show. Took a nasty head injury and it was touch and go for a while. All turned out ok though, but the docs warned him his personality could change and it did.

He now likes celery. He didn't before. Now he does. ;)

Best of luck, mate.

richierich

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »
Thats the longest excuse I've read for not doing reviews Rick - it's just not good enough   :redcard:

;)

Just kidding pal, really hope they destroy the little bugger with medicine and you are feeling better soon.

Now, onto smelling smoke. It is crazily coincidental but a business contact once told me he had the same problem, although I think he said he could just about taste it at back of throat, and he said it was cigarette smoke although he'd never smoked and wasn't near any smokers.  He got treated for sinuses, and after different medicines had some form of sinus clansing?? done which sorted the problem.
Hopefully you will also find a remedy soon

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »
Stay strong Rick! I hope you get your health back real soon! Seeing my mother go through radiation and Chemo... I know it isn't any fun at all! But I also seen it really does work... Just keep in mind it takes more then that... You really have to believe you can beat it as well... you wouldn't believe how much a good attitude helps!
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 06:30:09 PM »
It seems to me that it is still likely to be related to the tumor they found. There is something called "referred pain" which describes a phenomena at an area that can be to quite distance from where the injury site is. I don't know a lot about your specific problem but I wonder if this smoking sensation is possible. I will stop by my hospital this week and do some research for you. I would also ask your doctor and the hospital for information related to your tumor; it is important to be as well informed as possible. I would also consider getting a second or even third opinion if that is an option.

I will send you the data I find via private message if you are interested. I don't have the internet at home, I use my brother's the days I am out here, so it might take a couple of days for me to research your problem and get back to you.

m.cellophane

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »
If it's been a while who knows what personality changes I may have when things get back to where they should be.
Does this mean you might enjoy musicals after the treatment?  :tomato:  :laugh: Seriously, I really hope this works out to be an easy solution to a scary diagnosis for you.  :thumbup:

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
Thanks everyone.  :cheers:

@Jon - celery eh? Hmmm......
@Richie - sinuses are still on the list for the cause. Well to be precise they're back on the list. That and my neurosurgeon has me coming in for some brain wave studies.
@Pete - Agreed on the power of a positive mental attitude. I've seen it in action many times with Lori.
@Kathy - I'd be grateful for any information you can dig up. I've looked online and have found a lot of info already but you can't have too much imo.
@James - Actually with the way things are now I would be more inclined to enjoy them today  :tease:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing Rick.  I wish you the best of luck getting this taken care of! ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:28:43 PM »
All the best to you Rick! Really hope that the medicine will help you to sort it out already.

Having a phantom response from any gland sounds like something undesirable. Hopefully the smoke smell can be sorted out soon as well.

lyonsden5

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks to both Mark and Achim.

Welcome Back Achim  :cheers: