Author Topic: x-box 360: games, gaming and your game list.  (Read 47979 times)

RossRoy

Re: x-box 360: games, gaming and your game list.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
I've tried the second one on my PS2 (before I gave it to my sister for my little niece), in fact I've bought it. But, I haven't played with this game very long, not because it was hard but because the character we play was too annoying for my taste. Less than the guy in FFX (what a cry baby), but annoying anyway.

That's an unfortunate side effect of JRPG. There's always the androgynous, not quite mature hero fighting with sword and magic (even on the virge of space travel), fighting ultimate enemies in the forms of demons. And Last Hope has it all! All the cliché are there! Including the bad voice acting, slow pacing, and endlessly long cut scenes.

I can't wait!  :yahoo:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
How are you finding CoD: World At War on the Playstation?
I have now played about 80% through the game and felt fit to reply. I like it! the engine seems to be a little beefed up version of the CoD4 engine, so graphics are slightly better here (IIRC CoD4 had no depth of field which I noticed here). I am playing with "medium" setting and getting my ass whipped, a lot. This game is challenging to say the least, but I doubt I'll ever seriously try to finish it in its entirety on Veteran setting... This toughness however helps to bring the feeling across that war is brutal and it's best to live in peace... :)

I have it on PC and it's ok, but frequently very poor indeed regards enemy AI.
Occasionally I find myself right next to an enemy who blissfully fails to notice me until it's too late. Then again, I think it's not that unreal that someone wouldn't have a 360º view... ;) (don't complain yet, I'll get to your other points...)

Stay in one place and they'll keep spawning, forever!
Thank God you told me that. The trick, however, seems to be to determine the right time when to advance forward. Go to early and you die easily, wait too long and you waste time. It's a common problem though and I remember there is a specific term for this... "Map triggers", or so(?), which apparently are a difficult thing to overcome as a developer. I noticed the same in Killzone 2, but again, thanks to your warning here I could get around the problem quickly.

There are holes in the maps where you can fire as much as you like at, say, a sniper, but you'll never hit him until you step once to the left or right.
I think I have seen this, but not that often, luckily.

And worst, I like to play a little stealth in all CoD games. Break off from the main squad and nip round the back. The other day I did that and was able to stand right behind some Japanese as they were firing at the main squad. One finally saw me and I dealt with him, but none of his mates reacted, even when I shot them.  :shrug:
Ah, here it is, I thought to remember you covered this (see my first point above). I can't quite recall if his friends remained oblivious while I killed him though...

It's not as bad as when I discovered how to beat Medal of Honour without receiving any damage (apart from the D-Day landings) while playing on maximum difficulty, but still, considering that was how many eons ago? This is just diabolical.
Diabolical as in wickedly hard? As I said, no argument here. I doubt I'll ever even try...

Fun fact: I believe it was less than 2% of all CoD4 players who managed to complete the final mission (Mile High) on Veteran. Haha, they sure make you work for those achievement points :devil:

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
Diabolical as in they should have tightened up the code before release. :P I only finished it very recently and the penultimate Japanese mission really pissed me off and ruined the rest of the game because I was in such a bad mood I stuck it on easy and went for a death run to finish it. It was only in hindsight that I realised the attack on the Castle and the Russian surge on Berlin were marvellous (although we already had the raising of the flag in COD2). I'll replay it one day. But why, may you ask was I so annoyed?

The AI of the enemy was bad, but of your own troops? Unforgivable. I just think the multi-path/hiding places of the Japanese missions was too ambitious. In general I was getting my arse seriously kicked because my own troops weren't doing anything. At one point, I saw a banzai soldier charge one of the troops; somehow he missed and even stranger they ended up with their backs to one another... which is where they stayed. Just stood there, looking stupid.  :shrug:

Overall the game was a lot better than I gave it credit for. And you never know, maybe a patch or two will sort out the issues as they do predominantly relate to the Japanese. But overall it just wasn't as awesome as I found the earlier parts which sometimes had moments where you could just stop and stare and how incredible it looked and sounded.

I've just installed Assassin's Creed and I have FEAR 2 staring at me... I've played the first couple of minutes of Creed and it's gorgeous. First time I can remember watching a cut scene and wondering why it stopped. Because I'm supposed to be playing that's why! The quality is that seamless. I got interested when I heard the story starts in modern day, which was a bit of a Matrix-y twist.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 05:19:11 AM »
I'll agree that the early parts of the game were more jaw-dropping than the later parts, that I it's also because we are getting used to what it looks like...

I have just finished the attack on the castle. What a frantic section of gameplay; died many times until I decided to mostly hide and take of the objective, calling in the air strikes. I still died several times after that but finally it worked. Again, this is on Medium only! I don't think I am an expert in FPS, but heck, I am not that bad there is still two higher settings than the one I am using... :stars:

Yes, the AI of the own troops sure lacked in places too. Running out of cover just to get killed quickly; and that in place where it didn't even fell scripted that way! On the other hand, I had a few moments where I noticed some cool animations regarding the AI. Like one time, I was not sure what I should do and ran around the map trying to figure it out, with the AI waiting and yelling at me to get on with it (:laugh:). When I walked by one of those waiting soldiers he was not only in waiting position, he actually scratched his head to remove an itch! I know there was another one like this but I forgot :-[

Assasin's Creed is supposed to be gorgeous looking and play well, but may become rather repetirive later on. Let me know how that goes. F.E.A.R. 2 has had rather mixed review so I decided to stay away from it, already/still having enough games still waiting to be played.

RossRoy

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Well, guess baby steps end up bringing results. Like I mention here, I have a tendency to acquire too many games too fast, which ends up with me not finishing any of them (I still haven't played Tales of Vesperia more than about 30 minutes).

But, today, I just finished Lost Odyssey, and I'm off to complete Gears of War 2 (I'm somewhere near the end.. I guess. I mean, I just fought the enemy Queen's bodyguard. I can't all that far from the end!)

xyrano

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 10:48:05 PM »
Game list update:
  • Army of two (4/5). Started this but haven't finished it yet.
  • Black Site (3/5). Started this but haven't finished it yet.
  • Call of Duty 2 (4/5). An oldie that never gets old! New
  • Call of Duty 3 (3/5). Stuck due to error in game, other then that its a good game.
  • Conflict: Denided OPS (3/5). Started this but haven't finished it yet.
  • Dead Space (5/5). Completed: 2 times. Started a third time.
  • F.E.A.R. 2 (4/5). Unbelievable scary ;) New
  • FarCry Instincts Predator (2/5). Started, but doubtfull I will play anymore.
  • FarCry 2 (4/5). Completed 2 times.
  • Fallout 3 (?/5). Initially I found this boring, but I might give it another try later.
  • Halo 3 (4/5). Completed 2 times.
  • Jericho (3/5). Started this but haven't finished it yet.
  • Laura Croft: Anniversary (2/5). The low score is due to the camera control as it really makes me angry.
  • Perfect Dark: Zero (4/5). Completed once.
  • Quake 4 (4/5)/ Quake 2 (4/5). Yet another oldie that never gets old! I'm talking about Quake 2, which brings back old memories and I just had to play it again :) New
  • Quake Wars (2/5). Tried it once. Doubtfull I'll ever get back to it.
  • Star Wars: The force Unleached (5/5). Completed 4 times. Just can't stop playing this, the laser sword NEVER gets old!!!
  • Two human (1/5). Tried it once and will probably not play it again.

Wish list:
  • Assassin's creed
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Call of Duty (5?): World at War
  • Red Faction: Guerilla war..

RossRoy

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 12:05:36 AM »
 :laugh:

I was very much near the end of Gears of War 2!

Just finished it ;)

I've updated the post here

GTA IV now I guess ;)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »
  • Call of Duty 3 (3/5). Stuck due to error in game, other then that its a good game.

What's the problem?

GTA IV now I guess ;)

Started playing this a while ao and not enjoying it that much. This my first exposure to any of the GTA games and really don't like the controls whether it be walking or driving.

RossRoy

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »
GTA IV now I guess ;)
Started playing this a while ao and not enjoying it that much. This my first exposure to any of the GTA games and really don't like the controls whether it be walking or driving.

Yeah, the controls are odd, especially in GTA IV, mostly due to the physics engine that threw everything I got used to in GTA3 out of whack. But I got used to them, and now I actually like them.

The main problem with the whole of the GTA series is that it suffers an identity crisis. It is a shooter, a driving simulation, a dating simulator, etc... Thing is, none of these are truly realized. But as a whole, I think it's a great game.

Yet, I've been killed on plenty of missions just because the controls will not respond fast enough.

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
Yet, I've been killed on plenty of missions just because the controls will not respond fast enough.

Is this the console version you're discussing? That's my main complaint with any console!  :laugh: I played a bit of Call of Duty 4 round at a mates house and just found it so slow, as if it had been handicapped because there's no way to aim quickly. I think if he came round mine and played the PC version he'd probably cry because it was so fast and brutal... :devil:

RossRoy

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »

Is this the console version you're discussing? That's my main complaint with any console!  :laugh: I played a bit of Call of Duty 4 round at a mates house and just found it so slow, as if it had been handicapped because there's no way to aim quickly. I think if he came round mine and played the PC version he'd probably cry because it was so fast and brutal... :devil:

It depends on the games. Halo is calibrated right for consoles, the controls feel just right. Of course, they'll be too slow for anyone who's used to PC shooter gaming, but still, they did a great job making it playable on a console.

My main gripe about the shooting controls on GTA IV is the aiming system. You just hold the left trigger, which locks the target to an opponent. Then, with the right-thumbstick you can adjust aim (up to head mostly), and then shoot with right-trigger. That works pretty well when there's few opponents.

When there's many opponents, you should be able to just flick the right-thumbstick to switch opponents. Thing is, 2 out of 3 times it doesn't switch opponents! So you're stuck aiming at a dying guy just because the system won't register and switch target, which in turn, makes you lose precious seconds when you have 8-10 guys shooting at you!

I did fix the problem somewhat: Rocket Launcher! ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »
GTA IV was also my first exposure to the series and I enjoyed it very much. I played it up to 100% twice; mainly because the added the trophy system in a later update. The controls were fine to me, maybe because it was one of the first games I played on a console and I hadn't played much for more than 7 years...

I am currently playing through Fallout 3. It's terrible, because I always get sidetracked doing other stuff than the main mission. :laugh: Seriously, it's a great game! It's a bit sad though that Bethesda released a patch for PC and XBOX360 which allows to continue playing after the main story but actually stated there are no such plans for PS3 :( Guess I'll have to save before the last task so I can then complete all side missions... Bethesda is not the sole offender... :(

I did fix the problem somewhat: Rocket Launcher! ;)
I always picked up the free one...
(click to show/hide)

I'll update my list shortly.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:23:13 AM by Achim »

RossRoy

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »
It's a bit sad though that Bethesda released a patch for PC and XBOX360 which allows to continue playing after the main story but actually stated there are no such plans for PS3 :( Guess I'll have to save before the last task so I can then complete all side missions... Bethesda is not the sole offender... :(

Actually, it's not just a patch. It's an expansion pack (like The Pitt and Operation Anchorage before it) called The Brotherhood of Steel (if I remember correctly). And it's not released yet, but it should be available in the coming weeks.

And I can assure you I will be waiting before I download this new pack. Don't want to relive the same situation that happened with The Pitt

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
Yeah, it seemed they really had a bit of bad luck with The Pitt...

Well, I have at least hope for the GTA IV DLC to hit the PS3 eventually (next year...?). I would love to revisit Liberty City... Hopes for Fallout 3 are rather low, unfortunately.

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
I just picked up GTA IV used online and waiting for it to arrive in a couple of days.

Meanwhile I'm close to finishing Drake's Fortune and have already finished Price of Persia and Burnout Paradise. Waiting for the island to release on Burnout - that should be fun!

The only other games I have are Tiger woods golf (PS3) which I play sometimes over the weekend and the assortment of games on the Wii (which rarely ever gets used unless we have company)