Author Topic: On Pre-Order 2008-2013  (Read 112336 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: On Pre-Order
« Reply #540 on: April 05, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
Since he is mentioned, which Chuck Norris film would be recommended to get a good feeling for what his stuff is about. Been wanting to check him out for some time now, just not sure where to begin.
Sidekicks  ;D
Is that a favorite of yours or is the smiley meant to be ironic. I was originally thinking more of "hardcore" Noris, this seems a bit more on the fluffy side? I could go with it...

It's more ironic. Sidekicks is more like The Karate Kid but here the main character just imagines Chuck Norris (as himself) to be there (IIRC).
I enjoyed this movie when I saw it because I knew the kid (Jonathan Brandis RIP) from SeaQuest.

I've never actually seen it but a classic Chuck seems to be Missing in Action.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #541 on: April 05, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
Any of his movies for Cannon is a good starting block for Norris. Lone Wolf McQuade, Missing in Action, The Delta Force, Invasion USA and Code of Silence. Of course, you could go back further to Way of the Dragon also! I have some of his 70s movies in my 'pile' but not got around to them yet but 1977's Breaker Breaker I gave only a 5/10 if I look at imdb.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
It's more ironic. Sidekicks is more like The Karate Kid but here the main character just imagines Chuck Norris (as himself) to be there (IIRC).
I enjoyed this movie when I saw it because I knew the kid (Jonathan Brandis RIP) from SeaQuest.

I've never actually seen it but a classic Chuck seems to be Missing in Action.
Found a trailer while you were posting. The Karate Kid parallels is almost too close or comfort. It was relatively funny though. Looking it up at IMDb I was surprised to find that Jonathan Brandi's had died in 2003 at the age of only 27 :(

:slaphead: Missing in Action, of course... It does seem to be his best known film. Delta Force has some additional star power, IIRC (Lee Marvin?) and Invasion USA sounds like another popular entry. I'll see which one of these is available, Sidekicks was available at Amazon...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 05, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
Since he is mentioned, which Chuck Norris film would be recommended to get a good feeling for what his stuff is about.
Sorry I'm a little bit late. My mother is a big fan of him, so I was lucky enough to watch many of them with her ;D

Invasion U.S.A. and Missing in Action that were made also by Barry Zito, so you'll see what is a Zito's action film.

Lone Wolf McQuade, Missing in Action 2, Code of Silence, Delta Force, Delta Force 2 and An Eye for an Eye are all recommanded.

A Force of One isn't an eighties film but it's a good film too.

I don't remember anything from Missing in Action 3 so I can't say if it is good or not.
The movie with a dog is awfull but it's a 1995 production...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #544 on: April 06, 2012, 12:40:43 AM »
Found a trailer while you were posting. The Karate Kid parallels is almost too close or comfort. It was relatively funny though.

I'm a sucker for these kind of movies. I even liked American Shaolin.

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 06, 2012, 06:16:55 AM »
I found amazon.co.uk being cheaper on these mostly rather old releases (some go back to the early days of DVD!). If I buy old releases I'd rather get them cheap, obviously. Besides, I might think it's all utter garbage :laugh:

I think I'll try one or two with my next order.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #546 on: April 09, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »
Two more that finally become available on Blu in Germany:

The Sting (Releasedate: 14/06/2012)

Metropia (Releasedate: 18/05/2012)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 11, 2012, 02:03:55 AM »
Is Metropia a blind buy? I remember being intrigued by the look of the trailer, but found the film more than a little disappointing.
Matthias

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #548 on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
Is Metropia a blind buy? I remember being intrigued by the look of the trailer, but found the film more than a little disappointing.
Yupp,
it's one of my test buys.
These usually occur when I find the topic and the optics interesting and the reviews are split.
If I recall correctly you didn't like "Antichrist", so this leaves a decent chance that I will like Metropia.

I'll come up with a report after I watched it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 16, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
A small pre-order for june ;D

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #550 on: April 23, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
Pre-Orders of the day:

Take Shelter (Releasedate: 09/10/2012)

Another Earth (Releasedate: 04/05/2012)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 01, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »
July pre-order at Diabolik DVD

Two beautiful orphaned identical twins, Maria and Frieda Gellhorn (Playboy centerfold models Mary and Madeleine Collinson), move to the village of Karnstein to live with their uncle GustavWeil (played by Hammer horror favorite, Peter Cushing), a fanatical puritan and leader of the local witch-hunting “Brotherhood.” The village Count (Damien Thomas, Never Let Me Go), an evil man who secretly practices Satanism, uses black magic and transforms into a vampire. Unhappy with her new life, Frieda seeks escape and tragically falls under the spell of the Count. Now overcome with an insatiable hunger for human blood, Frieda has to hide her secret from her sister, and escape her uncle’s killing grasp!

In this shocking sequel to TRUE STORY OF A WOMAN IN JAIL: SEX HELL, Mayumi (the tough inmate from the first film) emerges from solitary confinement to find an all-new gang of bullies picking on a meek, young female prisoner.  Mayumi is now a much harder soul who takes no attitude from anyone, and she turns savage when the poor girl is enslaved by Yakuza!  No one is safe as Mayumi takes down the entire jail in a sudden act of violent carnage.

Nikkatsu turns the women-in-prison genre on its head yet again with TRUE STORY OF A WOMAN IN JAIL: CONTINUES.  If you thought the first film was brutal, wait till you see what’s in store here!  Bath house attacks, lesbian sex scenes, rapist prison guards, violent abortions and even a transgender inmate add to the exploitation fun!

Saeko, a woman with a mysterious past, is hit with a rock and brutally raped by a man wearing a dark mask and black gloves.  Her life is spared, but soon brutal murders befall the residents of the Kibougahara Apartment building.  The victims are beaten, killed, and their genitals are set on fire. Saeko has her suspicions about the killer’s identity, but will she live long enough to unmask the pyromaniac?

Sex, horror and nudity!  Three great things that go great together!  The Nikkatsu oddity, ZOOM IN: SEX APARTMENTS combines genres to bring you a one-of-a-kind film about a sadistic killer who literally lights up the loins of his victims! The elaborately-orchestrated rapes and murders committed by a faceless, leather-gloved psychotic (and set to a booming bass-heavy soundtrack) are an unmistakably deliberate homage to the giallo films of Italian master director, Dario Argento.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:33:17 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 04, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »
Pre-ordered from Amazon Canada as SWV don't release a lot of new stuff those days... in fact it's only one of the three who is new : The Immoral Three

BTW the idea of Chesty Morgan in HD is a scary one :laugh:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #553 on: May 08, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »
Recent Pre-Orders:

The Avengers (Releasedate: 13/09/2012)

Iron Sky (Releasedate: 26/10/2012)

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #554 on: May 28, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (Releasedate: 18/10/2012)