Author Topic: On Pre-Order 2008-2013  (Read 112345 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: On Pre-Order
« Reply #435 on: December 08, 2011, 05:23:27 AM »
I am going to wish-list this for the time being... :D (except, I can't, as it's neither on Amazon nor DVD profiler yet) :slaphead: Will have to try to remember...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 08, 2011, 06:49:27 AM »
It's on Amazon UK as it is a british release. Before you ask, it isn't region free but even without a region free Blu-Ray reader I'm sure you have everything needed to play at least a zone 2 dvd.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 08, 2011, 06:54:19 AM »
It's on Amazon UK as it is a british release. Before you ask, it isn't region free but even without a region free Blu-Ray reader I'm sure you have everything needed to play at least a zone 2 dvd.
Has it been confirmed that it's region locked...?

Of course I can play zone 2 DVD, but I am limited to Region A for Blu.

Seeing how many releases are UK only I am starting to consider to at least check availability of a region free player; after all, I live in Taiwan...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 08, 2011, 07:07:33 AM »
Has it been confirmed that it's region locked...?
Yes in region 1 it's a made on demand DVD-R with no extra (except for the trailer) :thumbdown:
As MGM and Warner doesn't release their catalogue titles anymore this is certainly a good idea to go zonefree as those movies will never be available for us. This is sure annoying with all the made in the seventies movies they refuse to release or even licence to other north american company...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 08, 2011, 07:18:08 AM »
Just made another small one for january at Amazon Canada ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
Maybe it would be a good idea for me to stop watching Amazon UK :whistle:

Anyway I just find another BFI release for an early Norman J Warren film, in fact it's more than an early film as his first from 1959 is included as a bonus.

HER PRIVATE HELL (DVD + Blu-ray)

The cautionary tale of an innocent girl abroad who gets caught up in the sleazy world of modelling, Her Private Hell was the debut feature of British exploitation director Norman J Warren (Satan's Slave, Prey and Terror) and the UK's first narrative sex film.

Beautiful but naïve, Marisa arrives from the continent for a job as a fashion model but soon discovers she's being groomed for a different purpose. Starring Italian actress Lucia Modugno (Il Generale della Rovere, Diabolik), the film ran for over a year in London and put Britain on the map in the realm of home grown adult features.

Special Features*

Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
Original Her Private Hell trailer
Alternative, uncensored US sequences (3 minutes)
Screen tests (4 minutes)
Making Her Private Hell (15 minutes): new documentary with cast and crew interviews
Incident: newly-created HD version of Warren's enigmatic first film
Fragment: exquisite short about a woman's unhappiness after a failed love affair
The Anatomy of a Pin-up (David Cohen, 1971, 30 minutes): modish documentary about the modelling industry
Fully illustrated booklet with new essays by Norman J Warren, David Cohen, Lynn Barber and Josephine Botting

Jon you can't say I don't help your industry as I've already 3 BFI released pre-ordered for 2012 ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:19:38 AM by Jimmy »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #441 on: December 08, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
The BFI are a fine institution. The new building where they house their masters is awesome:
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/208564/20110905/bfi-acetate-nitrate-film-stores-edward-cullinan-architects.htm

I would also highly recommend their magazine, Sight and Sound.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
This is what I call respect for film history :clap:

I feel even better to encourage them everytime they will release something in my tastes range. Even if their prices are higher than what I usually pay for the film I import from your country (and don't really decrease as fast as most of the british releases) the way they treat every movie with respect (whatever it is an exploitation film, a total obscurity or a classic) deserve the same kind of respect from me.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #443 on: December 08, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
Respect is one thing I love about the magazine Sight and Sound also. If they review a film they dislike, they actually give constructive reasons and never actually 'slag it off'. The BFI are one of many institutions/companies that put the Great in Great Britain. :P

Najemikon

« Reply #444 on: December 08, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »
I couldn't understand the fuss when the Government killed off the UK Film Council. To me, that was just a Labour fad created to try and make it look like they understood the film industry when they really didn't. And what it actually did was marginalise the BFI. The Conservatives have put that right by giving the BFI more of the resources they deserve.

I think they are still classed as a charity, Jimmy, which is why their releases will always maintain high prices. They're such limited runs anyway. Have you had any of their DVDs yet? They are great value, often being the dual format packages.

I joined the BFI a year or so ago. Really haven't had the opportunity to take advantage of it though I didn't mind renewing. It did give me a discounted S&S subscription, so I'm enjoying that. It is an excellent magazine.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 09, 2011, 03:08:47 AM »
I think they are still classed as a charity, Jimmy, which is why their releases will always maintain high prices. They're such limited runs anyway. Have you had any of their DVDs yet? They are great value, often being the dual format packages.
Not yet, but it's mostly a question of budget as many interest me.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 12, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
As this book is set to be release in may it's the perfect gift I can do to myself for my birthay ;D

(click to show/hide)

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #447 on: December 16, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »
Placed another Pre-Order for 2012:

La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In) (Release in Germany: 30/03/2012)

RubbeldieKatz (Release in Germany: 31/07/2012)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #448 on: December 21, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
Source Code

£8.91 @ Amazon.co.uk

Tucker & Dale vs Evil

£6.94 @ Amazon.co.uk

Unknown

£8.91 @ Amazon.co.uk

X-Men: First Class

£9.91 @ Amazon.co.uk

Your Highness

£8.91 @ Amazon.co.uk
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #449 on: December 21, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
Some nice pick-ups there DJ. I dug Source Code and I caught Tucker vs Dale earlier in the year... suprisingly funny and came out from nowhere really. I really liked Unknown also. Neeson is on the ball these days.

(Oh and I thought Your Highness was OK. Not as bad as everybody says, just a 3/5.) :)