Author Topic: On Pre-Order 2008-2013  (Read 112234 times)

Najemikon

Re: On Pre-Order
« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »
you do mean your Blu can read multi region dvd don't you? I can't find any way to read region A Blu.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 22, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »
No Blu-Ray also, it just a special menu that appears when I enter a special four number code. It doesn't make the reader zone free as it is the case with a dvd reader, but it make it zone A, B or C depending of what you want (you must change it everytime as it reverts to zone A everytime you shut the reader). Blu-Ray aren't my big priority as you know and importing them isn't even on my mind right now, but at least I know it won't be a problem when I will decide to do so.

hal9g

« Reply #227 on: February 22, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
I don't know about yours, but my is limited to 5 Region changes.  After the 5th change it stays permanently on the last change.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
I know a computer dvd reader works this way (unless you use a sofware as I do) so it's possible that it's the case also with my BR reader. Those fonctions aren't documented so it's hard to know before trying it, but what you write looks logical to me and maybe it's the reason why the change revert when you close the reader... As I don't own any non region A Blu-Ray I can't check, but I know the operation is done on the same menu use to make the dvd part all-region and it doesn't change.

Of course if I was more in the format presently the solution will be easy, just got 2 readers and make one region A and the other region B (the reader cost me just 88$ and for a Blu-Ray reader this isn't that pricy). But as I can get what I like here on BR and DVD/BR combo the problem isn't as bad as it was with the dvd disponibility. A certain part of my dvd collection was imported from other regions but I don't see it happen any day soon for the BR for what I collect and like.

Of course real zonefree Blu-Ray reader exist, but the procedure need more than a code.

Najemikon

« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
Jimmy, is your Blu-Ray reader a computer based one?

Stand-alone players, as far as I was aware, cannot do multi-region. It's possible to get some modded, but that's a silly thing to do because the format sometimes needs a firmware update. You'll either fail to get the update and not be able to play some discs, or you'll get the update and it'll overwrite the mod. ::)

Hal, there are plenty of ways to circumvent the five time limit. I use a piece of software called AnyDVD and it's able to unlock the drive, imitate the correct region and even remove adverts and copy protection. It's often used by pirates of course to unlock DVDs for copying, but it's legitimately useful to make your PC truly multi-region.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »
No it's a stand alone player, an update to add a Blu-Ray reader on my computer would have been more costly since I think you must have an HD screen for it to works :shrug:

Maybe it's more common in America that it is in Europe, but there is brand who are multizone (some of my friends own them and they work perfectly) and they aren't that hard to get.

I've tried AnyDVD some time ago and it was a great piece of software but a costly one, I got DVD Region+CSS Free who is almost the same for half the price of AnyDVD.

Najemikon

« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
Right... exactly what brand of player do you have, Jimmy? At under $100 it might be worth me importing...  :headscratch:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
Seiki BD660

Wall Mart Canada had it on sale at Christmas time here, I can't find one place who sale it anywhere on the web (I think it was a canadian exclusivity). But maybe your searching power will be better than mine :laugh:

BTW my search give me the confirmation that no limit of region changes are present, so I really have a zone free Blu-Ray reader

RossRoy

« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
No it's a stand alone player, an update to add a Blu-Ray reader on my computer would have been more costly since I think you must have an HD screen for it to works :shrug:

I can confirm that, no you don't need an HD screen. You don't even need to use a HDMI cable. My computer monitor is an LG 1680x1050 (don't know the exact model number) but every time I've looked, I couldn't find any mention of HDCP compliance or whatever. But when I ran the BR Readyness test for PowerDVD, it said my monitor is HDCP compliant over DVI and that's that.

Technically, you don't even need any special sound system either. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are both backward compatible with DD and DTS decoders. Or at least, my system can decode them.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation :thumbup:

I'll keep that in mind for when I will decide to update some parts of my computer. My dvd reader who is really not far to reach the end of its life and my monitor who is big and cumbersome but tough (I use the one from my old computer since my flat monitor stop working a years ago).

hal9g

« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
Hal, there are plenty of ways to circumvent the five time limit. I use a piece of software called AnyDVD and it's able to unlock the drive, imitate the correct region and even remove adverts and copy protection. It's often used by pirates of course to unlock DVDs for copying, but it's legitimately useful to make your PC truly multi-region.

I don't buy anything but Region A or Multi-Region Blu rays (or Region 1 or Multi-Region DVDs for that matter) so I've never had a need for this software.  Good to know it's out there, though, just in case.

I only use my PC Blu ray/DVD drive for movies when I'm cataloging them in DVDP.  I never watch movies on my PC.  But Like Sebastien, I've never had a problem with either the display or the sound on my PC.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »
Hal, there are plenty of ways to circumvent the five time limit. I use a piece of software called AnyDVD and it's able to unlock the drive, imitate the correct region and even remove adverts and copy protection. It's [...] legitimately useful to make your PC truly multi-region.
Except for the minor point that it's outlawed in several countries (Germany for example).

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2011, 11:14:43 PM »
Pre-ordered today:

Mörderischer Norden

A boxset containing 5 German crime stories

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2011, 12:07:12 AM »
Except for the minor point that it's outlawed in several countries (Germany for example).
As it is here, but the risk of never see any snow here forever is way higher than having the RCMP raiding my house because I use a software to read imported DVD I bought legally... 

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
I ordered these comic books:

(9.90€)

(9.60€)

and this DVD:

(13€)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools