Author Topic: Help with Gmail / Outlook 2003  (Read 891 times)

lyonsden5

Help with Gmail / Outlook 2003
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
After about two hours of trying to figure out WTF I was doing wrong I found out it wasn't me. What I am trying to do is simply change my email so it looks like it is coming from another email.

I have an email address from my new contractor in Hawaii. I can set the REPLY TO address to be whatever I want. I can also set the FROM address to be whatever I want. Unfortunately using a Gmail account the FROM address always shows up as the GMail address.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and if so does anyone have any suggestions as to how I go about masking the Gmail address? From what I read last night it's a Gmail thing so there may not be anything I can do about it, except switch to another email address for this contractor. I read something about Outlook 2007 being able to fix it, but I'm not too sure about that. I will be upgrading my Office to 2007 today to see if that will help.

Suggestions?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Help with Gmail / Outlook 2003
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »
That's totally a mail provider thingy. To mask your from address must be permitted by him (because it could be used to send spam).

I can understand that GMail does not permit this.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
That's totally a mail provider thingy. To mask your from address must be permitted by him (because it could be used to send spam).

I can understand that GMail does not permit this.
Yeah, I'd even appreciate it... The most spam I get is from "myself"; which I find entirely pointless from whoever wrote that spamming code. When it is about Viagara I usually think "well, I gotta know best..."

But Rick, don't you have your website anymore....? Just create a dedicated mail account there, which you could even load into GMail via POP, and then delete it when you are done with the job.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:37:44 PM by Achim »

lyonsden5

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »
Thanks to both of you. Yes Achim, I do still have my site. The Gmail route seemed to be the easiest at the time since I would always have my mail wherever I am. Hae I know the issue I would have set up an account like you suggest.

I wonder if I can forward the gmail to my site then grab it from there....  :hmmmm:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:09:31 AM »
I wonder if I can forward the gmail to my site then grab it from there....  :hmmmm:
Yes, you should either be able to auto forward the mail or set it up as a POP within Gmail (somewhere in the Settings there is an Accounts tab). In the latter case you should ba able to also use the Site5 account for sending stuff; I'd have to test it to ensure that in that case the GMail information is not sent as well.

EDIT:
In fact, I just logged into my GMAil and send you a mail trhough my Yahoo account. Let's see if you can find my Gmail address anywhere within that mail.

If you need help setting up either side of this (GMail or Site5) let me know. I could do it on my end, write down the steps and give to you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:19:41 AM by Achim »