Author Topic: Cloverfield  (Read 2493 times)

richierich

Cloverfield
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:10:35 AM »
We saw this at the cinema this evening.
Not sure if it was absolutely brilliant or totally dreadful  :hmmmm: :headscratch:

Has anyone else seen this yet?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cloverfield
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:11:45 AM »
Not yet but your review makes it sound even more interesting than the trailer I saw.

richierich

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 01:41:10 AM »
I can't say much more, don't want to give anything away.
I think it is a must see

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:13:10 AM »
I've not seen it yet, and I am looking forward to it. However, I think this is a great point to mention that I have just watched The Host and it is absolutely fan-bloody-tastic. Has anyone seen both? There's a far bit of talk about how genre bending/defining Cloverfield is, but I have to say The Host isn't exactly slacking on giving the monster formula a good shake.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:44:57 AM »
I read a review for Cloverfield which compared it to The Host where he latter came out on top... I have seen both and love them.

I agree that Cloverfield could be called a must-see. A few of the scares are standard fare
(click to show/hide)
but in overall the film felt really fresh to me. Haven't seen anything like it.

(click to show/hide)

I unfortunately left the cinema during the end credits (in the old days I never used to do that) and only found out later that that was a slight mistake. So, if you still see it, make sure you stay to the very end. It ain't over till it's over.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »
Last year when Transformers was showing at the cinema I was fortunate enough to see a trailer for this(the one where it's the party and then explosions start, followed by the head of the Statue of Liberty) there was no other explanation just a release date. A couple of us in the auditorium had heard of it and new that it was the neww JJ Abrams film and were very excited about it.

Fast forward a few months and then there's a full triler with soldiers and other Blair Witchesque running/screaming/shaky camera work.
 :yucky:
This trailer really turned me off from seeing it.

I'm still undecided about this, but will more than likely give it a miss at the cinema.

I've got The Host sat on my shelf, if I really want to watch a monster movie

richierich

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
I loved the Host as well, I would put them on a par

Ya_Shin - what happened after the end credits!!! We left before they had completed

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »
Spoiler mode please for that one!  :P

Have you played The Host end credits? No spoiler required, it's just the monster's roar, but it's a great speaker demo as it goes "around" the room.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »
Spoiler mode please for that one!  :P
Of course! I thought of PM first, but then spoiler mode should do (it's not really all that dramatic...).

Ya_Shin - what happened after the end credits!!! We left before they had completed
Trying to find a quote I discovered an entire website devoted to this (and then some):
(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:43:30 PM »
The following contains spoilers but nothing that you couldn't expect from such a movie anyways.

I just came out of the theatre. Since I haven't seen BWP I thought the way of showing the movie (through the camcorder) was quite innovative.

I think the movie was ok, but not extraordinary.

Two thinngs bothered me though:

1a) It wasn't logical sometimes why he would disable the camera at this point during the party.
1b) It wasn't logical sometimes why he wouldn't disable the camera during the escape (e.g. when they climbed on the roof - I would have put it away and would have used both my hands)

2) No matter how large the biest is and no matter how thick its hide/armor is: The amount of direkt hits both by rockets and by grenades (I am not talking about the MGs) would have blasted large pieces of flesh out of the creature and it would have died.

But that is normal in this genre, it would be boring if the creature would die after half an hour. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools