Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package Coming To Me!  (Read 8166 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package Coming To Me!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 06:07:09 AM »
In fact, a great deal of children's stories feature some very powerful moments and it's a shame to hide them away.
Children's stories indeed often contain horrifying moments and scary stuff. However, I always thought they are supposed to have a positive ending rather than a "traumatic end".

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 09:43:01 AM »
Well I don't want to assume too much because I haven't seen it, but maybe "traumatic" was too strong a word. A positive ending can still be downbeat and sad though.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »
Hmmm, so I guess I meant "upbeat" ending...

Like in Hansel & Gretel. It's quite horrific that they burn the witch alive (while for good reason) and the fact that they are on her menu is probably rather scary, but in the end they get home and get to live happily ever after, or so they say.

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
True, but in the example I previously mentioned, Watership Down, there's a bittersweet ending. Not cruel, just very real, perhaps showing that everything has a purpose, but is also finite.

And isn't The Empire Strikes Back a 'U' certificate?  :tease:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »
Thanks for the heads up... may have to check it out first just to be safe... but would be surprising since it is a Disney movie...

I always thought Disney movies were kind and gentle...ha! Have you watched any of the classics lately? I never realized  how traumatic (if that's the right word) they actually are. Lady & the Tramp deals with euthanasia, Snow White with attempted murder, Cinderella with child abuse, etc. I've been watching a few Disney movies this week and it made me realize that these films deal with some pretty awful topics. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:35:34 AM by Kathy »

Halo2

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 04:52:04 AM »
I have seen Bridge To Terabithia. Towards the end, there is a traumatic event. They deal with it and give it an upbeat ending. Use the information below to decide if you need to review the movie prior to letting Brittany watch the movie.

(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 10:25:35 AM »
Thanks... I am sure she will be fine with that.... after all... she does watch several of my classic horror movies... and many of my PG13 horror movies.
(click to show/hide)
I pretty much figured there wouldn't be much here for me to worry about.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 10:58:53 PM »
Well... she emailed me and told me she sent the package yesterday through UPS.... told her it will get to me about Wednesday. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 03:06:55 PM »
She emailed me again a day or 2 ago... and told me she found a tracking number on the receipt and sent that to me... I just tracked this package and it says it is out for delivery! :)

Only problem is I will be away most of the afternoon with my daughter... there will be someone home but I don't really trust them to worry if my package gets delivered or not... so I am thinking maybe I better leave a note on the door to have him leave the package on the porch if no one answers the door.
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »
Might not be the best day to have a package left on the front porch. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 10:04:53 PM »
I got lucky... The UPS guy was late... and didn't get here till after I got home... I now have the package... and sitting here trying to decide what to watch first!  :tv:
Pete

lovemunkey187

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 10:27:53 AM »
So what did you think of Slither?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 12:19:37 PM »
I enjoyed it... though I did think it could have been better. Here is my write-up of the movie when I watched it for my month long horror marathon....

Title: Slither
Movie Count: 84
TV Ep Count: 34
Time Started: 7pm
Plot:
Prepare youself for this terrifying, twisted and chilling film that critics are calling ' the most entertaining horror movie in years' (Joe Williams, St Louis Post-Dispatch).

From the writer of 2004's Dawn of the Dead comes the deliciously demented story of an unnamed evil wreaking havoc on a small town. Intent on devouring all life on Earth, this dark force is infecting anyone in its path. Now it's up to the local sheriff, Bill Pardy (Nathan Fillion, Serenity), and his team to stop the spread of rampant devastation - and shocking mutilation - before it's too late.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I just got today in a DVD Care Package from a good friend of mine. This is a movie that I have never seen.... it is one I have heard good and bad about. And one that the friend of mine did not like at all. So I am going into this movie with fairly low expectations. After watching this one I have mixed feelings. I really like Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Serenity)... and thought he was good in this movie.... and I liked the main premise of the movie. But I do think that some of the stuff they added into this movie was a little to overboard for the storyline. So even though I did enjoy it... and sure I will watch it again... it could have been better. I think I would rate this one at about 7 out of 10.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 12:40:33 PM »
You need to watch it again, Pete. I must admit on first viewing I was surprised by the OTT nature of the story; I was expecting something else (not sure what), but I've watched it twice since and now I revel in it! It's no Tremors, but it's the best since Tremors I think.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »
Oh... I am sure I will be watching it again. And it wouldn't be the first time I liked something better on the second (or 3rd) time I saw it. Not sure how soon I will get at watching it again... maybe the next time I have an aliens (Note I mean generally not the series Aliens)  :P marathon.

Today I am starting a movie marathon... trying to catch up on some of my unwatched DVDs... yesterday I looked at my unwatched list... and there was 109 movies (movies alone!) I haven't watched yet!
Pete