Author Topic: Forum Skin  (Read 1878 times)

Touti

Forum Skin
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:20:25 PM »
I started a new forum and bought a nice skin for it but it's not starting as quick as I expected.  I just went through 15 minutes of manually editing all the skins here to add the "Bookmarks" buttons because mod installation only updates the default skin.

I'm thinking of removing all the skins here and use only the one that I currently have over at my other forum. :tomato:.  What do you think ?

http://www.quebectoy4x4.com

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Skin
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
I usually don't use custom skins in forums... I still have this one set to the default.

It would need getting used to a little, but if it's easier for you I wouldn't mind if you switched.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »
I usually don't use custom skins in forums... I still have this one set to the default.

It would need getting used to a little, but if it's easier for you I wouldn't mind if you switched.

Actually this one IS a custom skin, I set it to "Default" and disallowed selection of the original default skin ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »
 :stars:

Well, it seems to be possible to change the color scheme, which I also don't use... :-[

Touti

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 04:43:07 PM »
A more detailed explanation for the teckie ones ;)

SMF comes with a Theme called "SMF Core Default" (or something like that).  When the forum doesn't find something it's looking for in a customer theme, it goes back to check the default one.  That allows you to create new themes by only coying/editing the files that actually need to be changed.

SMF also has an option to choose which theme will be the default in the forum and to disallow the selection of "SMF Core Default" by users.  This way, you never have to modify the original theme so you don't get screwed ending up having to redo all your changes whenver an update to the forum replaces a file.

The back side is that mod installation don't take other themes into account, they only modify the "SMF Core Default" so if a mod changed anything in the display templates, I have to find those changes and add them in my four Themes.

Fortunately, the next version of SMF (which doesn't have a release date yet) will fix that and installing mods will update all the themes installed.

Lithurge

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 05:26:27 PM »
I could live with the skin you have on your other site, I switched this one to Cherry, although I'm sure that info is of no real use.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 06:11:20 PM »
http://www.quebectoy4x4.com
To be perfectly honest: I clicked the link and my very first thought was: *urgl* which means nothing good to when translated into a human tongue.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:43:34 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »
I changed mine to Charcoal, as it fits better with the Zune theme for Windows XP.

But I could get used to the theme you use on your other site, it looks nice and clean. BUT, maybe a different color scheme?

Touti

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 06:38:18 PM »
Allright, forget it.  I won't force anybody to "get use" to anything.  I can live with this small problem until SMF 2.0 comes out.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 07:43:27 PM »
I hate to lose my cherry.

:devil:

Touti

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 08:07:31 PM »
I hate to lose my cherry.

:devil:

That's probably what Scarlet was thinking when your avatar picture wast taken  ;D