Author Topic: Fellow horror fans - your help is needed!  (Read 3327 times)

RossRoy

Fellow horror fans - your help is needed!
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »
Alright, I have a confession to make: I've never seen any of the Friday the 13th movies (well, unless Freddy vs Jason counts as a Friday the 13th movie). Now, I was thinking of actually taking the plunge, as it's consider such a classic (I was about to say "I know you don't agree Jimmy, but I actually like Hollywood style", but then, I have no idea what he actually thinks of it, so I'll refrain!).

My question, would this set...

http://www.amazon.ca/Friday-13th-Crystal-Lake-Manhattan/dp/B0002JP572/

...be any good? Or should I actually hunt down each individual film in their "uncut" version? Are they even available on DVD?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Fellow horror fans - your help is needed!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
That is the set I have... and I love it! I don't know about the cut (to which movie or what have you) as I probably never seen the unct version of whichever one it is talking about. But from what I remember from past discussions somewhere else (been long so forget where) I believe it was only 1 movie that is cut in that set.

But keep in mind... that is not all of the F13 movies... there is still a couple more you would need to get the complete collection... Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X is not in that set.... as they are owned by a different studio.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
I hope they get better after part 1! What do you think, Pete? I was really disappointed and not because Jason isn't really in it (or the sequel apparently) but it just bored me rigid. :shrug:

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:20:15 PM »
I hope they get better after part 1!

I hope too because I just bought it! Along with Goes to Hell and X.

I also took the opportunity to upgrade my copy of Child's Play to a proper widescreen one.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:21:04 PM »
probably not the right one to ask Jon... since I enjoyed part 1.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:21:56 PM »
I also took the opportunity to upgrade my copy of Child's Play to a proper widescreen one.

I still need to do this myself!
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:32:05 PM »

I still need to do this myself!

At 9.99$ right now on Amazon.ca, with free shipping on it thanks to Friday the 13th, I couldn't resist

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 09:36:10 PM »
I will be seeing a $10 Walmart gift card here shortly... think I will use it to get the new Child's Play release. Not only widescreen... but looks like a nice little collection of extras too. :)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 09:36:54 PM »
I've the set, since Friday the 13th brings a lot of memory of my teenage years. Sadly the version in the set is the cut one. This franchise had saved Paramount Pictures when they were on their way on bankruptcy, but this studio is ashamed of those movie. The only dvd version that I know with the uncut version of the first one is the region 2 release because the european rights belong to Warner. I don't think that the 7 sequels are available uncut.

If you find the set for a good price go for it! It's a lot of fun and you have a lot of beautifull eighties girls in this. BTW buy the other one too : Jason Goes To Hell (this one is different but I really like it) and Jason X (silly, but fun too).

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 10:20:01 PM »
The Region 2 is uncut? Anyone wants it they can have it. It only cost me £1 so I'm happy to stick it in a jiffy and send it to a more welcoming home where it won't get stared at as a potential coffee mat!  :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »
Jon if you can wait till the beginning of november (I'm only pay at the month first) I will take it from you. Just check if this is the one I've link with the commentary on it.

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »
No problem, Jimmy. It's been sat in my "get rid" pile for ages anyway now! It is the one in the link.

Boomstick98

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »
As a whole I enjoy the Friday the 13th movies. I will admit there are some duds in there like Jason takes Manhattan, but even it has some good laughs in it. Jason X has horrible acting and a dumb story, but its a load of fun to watch. I don't own the boxed set. I already had them individually before they released it.  :weep: Anyway, hope you enjoy.

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 03:57:29 AM »
Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Well I'll probably be watching it this coming October, so we'll soon know! :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 06:22:32 AM »
Any chance that you'll watch Sinful this year? I think that it can count as an horror film (even if this isn't its primary genre) and I always like to read the opinion about the films bough because of me.

BTW I'll wait for the apparition of 6 other movies in your review topic :tease: