Author Topic: cya in 6 days  (Read 1909 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
cya in 6 days
« on: September 28, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »
Hi,

for the next five days (saturday to wednesday) I will be in my old home town: Berlin. My granny's got birthday on sunday and wednesday is our national holiday (German Unity Day).

So I'll have a long weekend in Berlin.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 04:47:45 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: cya in 6 days
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:14:07 PM »
Wish you a nice trip to Berlin! Going by train or car...?

lyonsden5

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:22:04 PM »
Have fun.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:25:37 PM »
Wish you a nice trip to Berlin! Going by train or car...?
Usually I'd go by train but this time I will go by car because the train drivers have announced to go on strik anytime soon.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »
Have a nice trip! I'll blasting my way through Halo 3 IN ENGLISH! ;)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 12:37:32 AM »
I remember the wall coming done, something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. I never realized that there was a German Unity Day celebrating that day. Have a fun and safe trip.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 04:10:32 AM »
I remember the wall coming done, something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. I never realized that there was a German Unity Day celebrating that day. Have a fun and safe trip.
Just to be clear, Oct. 3 is to celebrate unification, but it's pretty much a random day. The wall came down some time in November and also the following year Oct. 3 nothing highly important happened.

We used to have a German Unity Day on June 17; which was the day there had been demonstrations in East Berlin and the Russians cleared the up with tanks... That "holiday" was cancelled and replaced by Oct. 3.

I am in Taiwan, so I'll be working on Oct. 3. (In exchange I just had Sept. 25 off and Oct. 10 will be another one...)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 10:04:08 PM »
Oct 3rd is indeed very randomly chosen. The problem with Nov 9th (Nov 9th, 1989 the Berlin Wall came down) is that in 1933 it was the day of the Reichskristallnacht and was thus deemed inappropriate to be chosen as a holiday.

Originally reunification should have taken place later on in october but then East Germany (founded Oct 7th, 1949; after West Germany's foundation on May 23rd, 1949) would have had its 41th anniversary. Thus reunification was advanced to Oct 3rd.
Karsten