Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 4275 times)

RossRoy

Re: Google Chrome
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 11:18:58 PM »
Agree with madacid here. I don't understand what is the big deal with Google and all their tools, they just have to do their own operating system and they will become the new Microsoft.

Please do. Somehow, I trust Google more than Microsoft  ;D

As for sticking to Firefox... well, just the load time might make me switch to Chrome. Firefox is insanely slow to load. The only thing that will keep me with Firefox as of now is a few add ons (Adblock, Better Gmail, Better GReader), and the fact Google themselves mentiones SSL is not supported, so I'll still use Firefox for banking. Other than that, I love Chrome (which is basically a mashup of Safari and Firefox after all)!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »
I will probably also stay with Firefox. Have been using Netscape or Mozilla from the beginning.
I just hope that Firefox will integrate the multiple processes idea. As the instruction comic says, Google hopes that other browser developer take their ideas and use them (Google Chrome is open-source).

RossRoy

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 11:24:15 PM »
Well, if Mozilla can lower Firefox's load time, and implement the 1 Tab -> 1 Process concept. It may lure me back ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 12:42:42 AM »
Firefox is slow to load first time, but then I think it's faster than IE by some margin. Chrome can't be much quicker. Mind you, I do like the NoScript extension, which is why I'm loathe to try Chrome. NoScript definitely improves load times.

Touti

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 12:56:55 AM »
Firefox is slow to load first time, but then I think it's faster than IE by some margin. Chrome can't be much quicker. Mind you, I do like the NoScript extension, which is why I'm loathe to try Chrome. NoScript definitely improves load times.

It can be much faster if it doesn't do as much things as the others in the background.  They also wrote their on Javascript virtual machine which is faster than the others and is also part of the program which makes it faster than plugins.  We compared a few of intranet sites today at work and Chrome was much faster than IE and FF.

Nobody (to my knowledged) disputes the fact that Opera is faster than its competitors, if Opera can make a faster browser i don't see why google couldn't given the resources at their disposal.

Najemikon

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 01:25:11 AM »

It can be much faster if it doesn't do as much things as the others in the background.  They also wrote their on Javascript virtual machine which is faster than the others and is also part of the program which makes it faster than plugins.  We compared a few of intranet sites today at work and Chrome was much faster than IE and FF.

Nobody (to my knowledged) disputes the fact that Opera is faster than its competitors, if Opera can make a faster browser i don't see why google couldn't given the resources at their disposal.

I mean more in usability because of NoScript. As you know I use empireonline a lot, but they use a LOT of advertising; banners, pop-ups, you name it. And those really annoying animated pop-ups that take up most of the screen and hide the 'x'. Anyway, NoScript just doesn't allow them to load, so the site just comes up without delay and I don't see any of the crap.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »
I use a couple of Add-Ons I really "depend" on a lot. NoScript being one of them; it is sometimes scary to see just how much other stuff is loaded off other sites rather than the site I'm on!

Well, there seems to be no Mac version (yet) anyway. I have recently begun to think about switching to Safari (supposedly they have picked up on speed since version 3), but there is again that Add-On problem. I looked before and found a few alternatives for some stuff, but something like NoScript is hard to find a replacement for...

RossRoy

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »
Well, I'm back to Firefox  :laugh:

I just can't browse without AdBlock, NoScript, Better Gmail, Better GReader, Bazzacuda Image Saver, Show The Image, FlashGot & BuyLater. There's just no way. I use them all daily. I thought I could learn to browse without them.. but no. I'm way too dependant on them.

RossRoy

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »
Any of you checked out the new Firefox 3.1 beta?

Activate Tracemonkey for the Javascript content (set "javascript.option.jit.content" to TRUE in about:config), and marvel at the Chrome-like rendering speed! I love it! Especially on my Google Mail!

Just sad that my extensions haven't been ported over yet (I know about Nightly Tester Tools... but I've always been weary of actually using it)