Author Topic: Searching for good rss feeds  (Read 3956 times)

Touti

Searching for good rss feeds
« on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Looking for good RSS Feeds to put on the portal, if you know some good ones please tell me.

pplchamp

Re: Searching for good rss feeds
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:11:40 AM »

Touti

ReĀ : Searching for good rss feeds
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:19:25 AM »
It doesn't seem very reliable.  The first time I tried it took almost 1 minute to connect, now I just can't access it anymore.

Touti

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 11:59:55 PM »
Thanks JP_S, I'll look at them later and see if I can incorporate them in the portal.

JP_S

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »
No probs, I hope the HighDefDigest ones can be used at all. They often have cool reviews IMHO...

Touti

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 02:06:23 AM »
I found some information about modifying the forum to add tabs, I'm gonna try it later this week, then I can add as many RSS feeds as I like without making the page longer

JP_S

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 07:47:33 AM »
Just as an idea,
maybe you could give the tabs names as "DVD Reviews", "Movie Reviews", "Latest News" or something

Touti

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »
That's pretty much what I had in mind, make a default tab that has more general info about DVDs and a little bit more of the forums and make the other more "specialized" so we can only see what we're interested in.

Telecine

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 01:20:56 PM »
That's pretty much what I had in mind, make a default tab that has more general info about DVDs and a little bit more of the forums and make the other more "specialized" so we can only see what we're interested in.

Sounds good. I don't suppose that the package supports personalisation. For example, allows the users to select which portions are displayed or hidden and how information is arranged?

Touti

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 01:30:57 PM »
I couldn't say Telecine, I havent looked at it that far yet.  I wish I could make it work like the "My" pages that autosport.com members have (see mine below).  There is a default tab and then you can add your own and select your own content for each page.  Each section can is selected from a list broken down in categories and once I've put it on a tab I can simply drag it where I want (2nd picture).  Each section can be set to be maximized or minimized by default and some, like the "News" ones, allow you to specify how many headlines you want.  You can of course change the colors.

That is what I wish I could do, unfortunately I don't think the mod for SMF goes that far.

Telecine

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 01:58:08 PM »
I couldn't say Telecine, I havent looked at it that far yet.  I wish I could make it work like the "My" pages that autosport.com members have (see mine below).  There is a default tab and then you can add your own and select your own content for each page.  Each section can is selected from a list broken down in categories and once I've put it on a tab I can simply drag it where I want (2nd picture).  Each section can be set to be maximized or minimized by default and some, like the "News" ones, allow you to specify how many headlines you want.  You can of course change the colors.

That is what I wish I could do, unfortunately I don't think the mod for SMF goes that far.

That's exactly what I talking about. Great if you can do it, not the end of the world if you can't. I think that what you have done to date is still very good.

Have you thought about adding a DVD reviews area? See DVDBeaver.Com for an example of how to do it well. That way you could link to Amazon.com etc for sales. I think that site certainly has the membership to profile DVDs and there are probably a number of people with the writing skills and knowledge to write a decent review of the DVDs from a collectors point of view. We don't need another film review site but I think that there are plenty of DVD collectors who are interested in the quality of transfers, extras and which version is the best one to purchase. Of course the upside is that there may be lots of free DVDs for reviewers. ;D

The thing that I haven't seen done well is reviews that can be sorted by a genre or an era. For example, Film Noir, Silent Films, etc. There are plenty of sites devoted to a genre or a director etc but none like I have described. What do you think?

Touti

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 03:04:37 PM »
That's exactly what I talking about. Great if you can do it, not the end of the world if you can't. I think that what you have done to date is still very good.

Have you thought about adding a DVD reviews area? See DVDBeaver.Com for an example of how to do it well. That way you could link to Amazon.com etc for sales. I think that site certainly has the membership to profile DVDs and there are probably a number of people with the writing skills and knowledge to write a decent review of the DVDs from a collectors point of view. We don't need another film review site but I think that there are plenty of DVD collectors who are interested in the quality of transfers, extras and which version is the best one to purchase. Of course the upside is that there may be lots of free DVDs for reviewers. ;D

The thing that I haven't seen done well is reviews that can be sorted by a genre or an era. For example, Film Noir, Silent Films, etc. There are plenty of sites devoted to a genre or a director etc but none like I have described. What do you think?

How about a wiki ?  It could be organized by genre or any other field we add in it, we could have movie and dvd reviews with links from one another, articles, bios, casts, easter eggs etc.  In the long run this could become a huge online db of movies and DVDs.

I don't mind setting it up but I would need a small team of "wikimasters" to take care of it. I've never installed or contributed to a WIKI before so I have no idea how it handles contributions and publishing, who verifies the data and that sort of things.

Would anyone be interested in joining the project ?

Telecine

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »
Count me in.