Author Topic: DVD Profiler 3.1 - What do you think.  (Read 16062 times)

lyonsden5

Re: DVD Profiler 3.1 - What do you think.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 03:36:35 PM »
Using the new rule many, if not most of the Disney movies will have to be changed from "Cinderella" to "Disney's Cinderella" for example.

It's a Wonderful Life" is now  "Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life" Every Alfred Hitchcock movie will now be found under "Alfred Hitchcock's XXX" which I find amazing since the community was strongly against it recently with "The Birds".
:o It's going to be a locking galore then for me.

It's going to be interesting to see how the community as a whole reacts to this. I think there will be a lot of locks being enabled.  :-\

Right now it's about 5 to 1 against the new rule. Ken really hasn't addressed our concerns nor does he seem willing to discuss it  :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »
Could someone please point me to the Fred over at Invelos?

Thx :)

PS: found it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 04:02:42 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 04:06:44 PM »
http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicid=205222&PageNum=LAST&x=#LASTPOST

sorry not sure how to link direct on these forums yet.

I am determined for once not to be bullied off the subject by the Dip. He has managed to post over 40 times now in just this one thread.  :redcard:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

m.cellophane

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 05:30:17 PM »
http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicid=205222&PageNum=LAST&x=#LASTPOST

You are not authorized to view this page.

Is that the secret rules discussion forum? I only found this Fred: http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=203259
Yes, that's the secret rules discussion forum. Links don't work unless you have gained admittance. If you send a PM to Ken or Gerri, they let you in. There's no screening process and you don't have to take an oath or anything.  :D

The thread that you located is the one in which the community voted. That vote is appearing to be worthless at this point. I have never been as disappointed in Ken as I am at this moment. That's saying a lot. In the past, I've managed to shrug off these problems and continue to move forward in the forums. That will be really difficult for me to do this time.  :whateva:

Touti

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 07:48:06 PM »
My biggest disapointment is the rules for cast in TV Series.  I'm sorry but it is completely ridiculous that someone would have to repeat the cast in EVERY SINGLE episode.  How many does one need to see that Patrick Stewart played in Start Trek TNG ?

IMO it's another perfect example of using the rules to do something instead of programming it.  My personal rule #1 in DB Design; Never EVER duplicate data, write code to show it as many times and places as you ned but don't EVER duplicate it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 09:34:20 PM »
I fully agree.

But even if one uses duplicate entries, one could position "all season cast" above the first episode.
Karsten

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 03:56:40 AM »
I am sorry, but we had that discussion in the main forum. Maybe not all for the best reasons, but most people preferred to have it that way. All Ken is doing right now is updating the Rules to show what people have been doing for months; it's not really new.

Edward Karlinski

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 03:46:19 PM »
My biggest disapointment is the rules for cast in TV Series.  I'm sorry but it is completely ridiculous that someone would have to repeat the cast in EVERY SINGLE episode.  How many does one need to see that Patrick Stewart played in Start Trek TNG ?

IMO it's another perfect example of using the rules to do something instead of programming it.  My personal rule #1 in DB Design; Never EVER duplicate data, write code to show it as many times and places as you ned but don't EVER duplicate it.

I don't think that doing this is ridiculous. Some shows change cast in midseason. Monk is a good example. Monk's nurse changed in the middle of season three. Knowing which episodes she was in is useful.

RossRoy

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »
I don't think that doing this is ridiculous. Some shows change cast in midseason. Monk is a good example. Monk's nurse changed in the middle of season three. Knowing which episodes she was in is useful.

Yes, but what's wrong with:

Actress #1 as Nurse #1 (Ep.1-12)
Actress #2 as Nurse #2 (Ep.13-24)

We don't need to list them both 12 times in the cast list.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »
Then you also have shows such as Charmed... a show that made 4 versions of the opening credits. Then use the credits depending on who is actually in the episode.

Even though I was at first all for having the main cast above the episode dividers... I am very much for having it broken down per episode now that I have done several sets... to many inconsistencies to deal with to have main cast above the episode dividers.
Pete

Edward Karlinski

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2007, 03:55:06 PM »

I view the episodes as having cast lists and not the series. When viewed in this manner, the repetition makes sense.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »

This wouldn't be possible with situation such as Charmed... you would have something like...
actor as part (ep. 1,3,5,7,9,15,17,21,23,24)

and you know there is only so much room in the role field.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007, 04:45:29 PM »
This wouldn't be possible with situation such as Charmed... you would have something like...
actor as part (ep. 1,3,5,7,9,15,17,21,23,24)

and you know there is only so much room in the role field.

Well, I think I should point out that I speak from the standpoint of not caring who played in which episode. Knowing that an actor played in the series is enough, I actually really don't need to know if it was in episode 4, 6 & 10.. Just the he played in 3 episodes would be more than enough to me.

That being said, I fully understand why someone would want it fully detailed.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »
I understand that... but I am just the opposite of you. I not only like to know how many episodes.. but to know exactly which episodes I can find them in... as well as what part they played... as the part is not always the same either. (more for recurring guests). And the only way I know of to have that information is to have individual cast lists for every episode.
Pete