Author Topic: The perfect program  (Read 13047 times)

Edward Karlinski

Re: The perfect program
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 03:50:56 PM »
As Edward mentioned, when Invelos' server was down, you could still maintain your collection.

Well, that's 3/4 true.

You could still maintain what you already had, and could add new ones, as long as you already had the OnlineList.dod file. If you didn't have that file, then you couldn't even get in the add dvd dialog.

So DVD Profiler is still useful offline, to a certain extent ;)

Yes, this shocked me when I learned such a file was needed. Since I paid for the product, there should be no such requirement as I purchased a fully functioning software package. I was very disappointed.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 05:44:42 PM »
Looking back at that, I think it may be worth to include those files in regular updates... Since they are in the Application Data folder they are currently not include din my backups...

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 10:37:01 PM »
Well, I'm and old-fashioned guy *and* a control freak. I want my data on my system and don't trust anyone else with it, especially not an ISP. And I know, it's just a DVD collection, but in these days and age, you can't be too concerned about protecting your privacy. I think, DVD Profiler got the basic compromise right in this regard. Local data with online update capabilities. So for me, the "perfect program" should go the same route. It may offer additional online functionality for those who want it, but it shouldn't be required.

Another thing is customization. And I don't mean changing layouts, but being able to easily extend and change the program myself via an API. The only "perfect program" program is the one I write myself, following my personal preferences without need to accomodate those of other people. As soon as I start thinking in public terms, I have to compromise.

Matthias

lovemunkey187

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 01:44:54 PM »
To be monumentally simple to use. ;D

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 06:48:19 PM »
To be monumentally simple to use. ;D

Agreed!  :cheers:

Edward Karlinski

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 01:59:52 AM »
Well, I'm and old-fashioned guy *and* a control freak. I want my data on my system and don't trust anyone else with it, especially not an ISP. And I know, it's just a DVD collection, but in these days and age, you can't be too concerned about protecting your privacy. I think, DVD Profiler got the basic compromise right in this regard. Local data with online update capabilities. So for me, the "perfect program" should go the same route. It may offer additional online functionality for those who want it, but it shouldn't be required.

Another thing is customization. And I don't mean changing layouts, but being able to easily extend and change the program myself via an API. The only "perfect program" program is the one I write myself, following my personal preferences without need to accomodate those of other people. As soon as I start thinking in public terms, I have to compromise.

Are you an Objectivist?

Touti

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 02:37:25 AM »
I haven't been in New York yet.  Unfortunately we were unable to book an apartment for my dates so we had to postpone my trip.  I'll be going from Oct. 22nd to Nov. 9th.

I'm probably gonna get started on my project this coming week-end.  I'm still uncertain as to how I'm gonna handle the "Titles" problem but I don't want to delay any longer.  Maybe the solution will come to me while I'm coding.  I don't want to keep a Blog or post news about my development in a public area but if some of you are interested in following the progress and discuss ideas and bugs, send me a PM and I will create a special section in the forum.

Just wanted to bump this ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 03:08:38 AM »
Just wanted to bump this ;)

Now that's something you don't see often. An admin bumping old threads! ;)

Touti

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 11:15:33 PM »

I'm probably gonna get started on my project this coming week-end.  I'm still uncertain as to how I'm gonna handle the "Titles" problem but I don't want to delay any longer.  Maybe the solution will come to me while I'm coding.  I don't want to keep a Blog or post news about my development in a public area but if some of you are interested in following the progress and discuss ideas and bugs, send me a PM and I will create a special section in the forum.

Hint !!!!!!

;)

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2007, 11:50:26 PM »
 :hysterical:  What wood? All I see is trees...  ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 12:15:14 AM »
How important is it for you that your personal data is stored locally.  Would you be comfortable with taking the risk of not having access to your collection if you're internet connection went down if that meant a much more powerful program ?

Please explain your thoughts
Personally for me it is more important to have my collection locally. I want to browse and edit my collection without worrying that my internet connection is acting up again (which it often does).
This is why I am quite happy with my little tool, which I first created while Profiler 2 was in a limbo and no future development was apparent. It still has a few features which Profiler 3 doesn't have. Even though it does not look that great (I am not a real programmer), I am happy with it.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »
To be able to add other formats. Not just DVD, but also HDDVD/Bluray/UMD's(for those of us who like our PSP's).

lyonsden5

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2007, 05:07:10 AM »
To be able to add "episode X" to your Star Wars titles.  :voodoo:

(that other place has gone completely  :wacko: )

RossRoy

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2007, 05:14:34 AM »
(that other place has gone completely  :wacko: )

You think?  ;)

When even the rules are becoming completely bonkers....

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2007, 07:35:29 AM »
It's not the rules... It's how they are applied and why.