Author Topic: Jazz  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Jazz
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:27:08 PM »
The Colored Musician’s Club in Buffalo, NY has been a place of inspiration and wonder since 1917. Black musicians, barred from joining the white musicians union, moved into the basement that year and formed their own union. Countless musicians have played there since – Miles Davis, Ellis Marsalis, Louis Armstrong, BB King, Ella….

We’ve been celebrating the clubs history of being “the source for jazz” with a series of outdoor jazz festivals. The city shuts down streets surrounding the club and musicians are everywhere. It’s like being in New Orleans during Mardi Gras – so much fun.

I got to wondering if there are any other jazz lovers out there. Who do you like?

Is there a movie you love because of the soundtrack? (any type of music)

Touti

Re: Jazz
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:35:04 PM »
I don't like Jazz but if you liked that celebration in Buffalo then you have to visit Montréal during the International Jazz Festival.  Streets closed, hundreds of thousands of visitors during the course of the festival, some shows in theatres, lots of outside shows, many are free.

One of the biggest Jazz event in the world.

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 05:01:35 PM »
I don't like Jazz but if you liked that celebration in Buffalo then you have to visit Montréal during the International Jazz Festival.  Streets closed, hundreds of thousands of visitors during the course of the festival, some shows in theatres, lots of outside shows, many are free.

One of the biggest Jazz event in the world.

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com

It is a grand time. I haven't been to Montréal for the festival in 2 years. Buffalo started its once a month celebration then and I've stayed close to home. It's kind of nice to just walk a couple of miles and find yourself in a different world. You've stirred some memories though so I may have to get my lazy butt back up there!