Author Topic: IMDB and common names.  (Read 2478 times)

tlevel

IMDB and common names.
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:29:30 AM »
Wouldn't dare bring this up at the other site.  ;D But I've been profiling quite a few of my own movies and found that for the most part IMDB is really pretty accurate when it comes to actors names when compared with the actual credits. They do fall apart when it comes to role names though, but what I'm really interested in is the actors name any way. They also list if the person is credited under a different variation of the same name so I've been using them to decide what my common name should be.

Now Ken said that IMDB peppers their data with incorrect information so that they can tell if anybody is scraping there stuff. Fair enough, I can believe it when it comes to the role name and even the uncredited stuff. But has anybody come across a movie that the actors name in IMDB is incorrect from the actual movie?? Don't know if brand new releases should count as it might take a bit for the dust to settle there as well. (I've seen at the top of the cast list a waiting to be verified message). But I'd be interested in if anybody has come across that.

Cheers,

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: IMDB and common names.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »
They also list if the person is credited under a different variation of the same name so I've been using them to decide what my common name should be.
Yes, they often do that, mostly correct, to. But I have also find quite a few times, that an actor was "Credited As" with a different name, but wasn't marked as such on IMDb...

For purely local use I have used them for reference too, though.

FWIW, I thought to remember according Ken's most recent postings he didn't want IMDb used for anything...

tlevel

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:40:51 PM »
No I wouldn't use this for the online, this is purely local. Just wondering how other people find the accuracy though. Like I said, I haven't come across any problems with the actors name yet. But I haven't done hundreds of movies yet either. Mostly just wondering if anybody saw a blazing example of Joe Doe linked to an actor Joe J. Doe when they were in fact two separate people.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 05:41:11 PM »
There's nothing really wrong with IMDb. How accurate does it really need to be? I can't remember the last mistake I found, even on some pretty obscure stuff.

Unfortunately certain members of Invelos take the "kick 'em while they're down" attitude. So Ken says don't use it, they react with what's tantamount to a smear campaign!

Ken's reasons are simple and understandable and they shouldn't be used as a stick to beat up IMDb with.

Touti

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:01:32 PM »
I don't see anything so wrong with IMDB either.  Actually, if the rules at Invelos turn to be what is discussed in the forum I will probably get rid of DVDP and buy something else.  I collection movies, not database records, so unlike some people my priority is knowing what I have and any other software can do that for me.

When I see a mistake I will correct it and send it to whatever company I deal with but not if I need a lawyer or a notary to help me explain what I changed.  I've already decided not to contribute TV series because I find that stupid that we should have all the information at 3 different places (Main, Child and Disc profile).

tlevel

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 07:09:18 PM »
One of my favourite things about DVDp was the fact that you could link actors names together. Can't wait to see what Ken is working on to help solve this problem, but for me any way, IMDB seems to be good enough for now.

RossRoy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »
I'll probably never ditch DVDP, it's still the best software IMO to catalog DVD (unless someone comes up with a new, better and improved homebrew solution).

That being said, I wouldn't part with my IMDb HTML Window. I don't even care what cast and crew are listed in the Invelos profile, as I never check them. I just point to my IMDb window and click away to find any information I want!

HTML Windows are the best thing to come to DVD Profiler in a LOOOOOOOOONG while.

SailorRipley

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 09:47:44 PM »
I agree with all the comments here. That fanatical belief that IMDb must be a product of the devil (Rosemary's Database) is just nonsense. I mean, I understand the legal reasoning for not using it within DVDP, but that's about it. All the forum idiocy at Invelos about how evil it is, is just bullshit. I even use IMDBpro for my professional contacts, and pretty much all of the industry uses it.

The only problems I've found have been with upcoming films and of course, with roles.

rorymatt

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:29:05 PM »
If the use of IMDB is so bad then why pray tell is there an IMDB seach this title in DVDP? :slaphead:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 06:59:01 AM »
If the use of IMDB is so bad then why pray tell is there an IMDB seach this title in DVDP? :slaphead:
Maybe to see all the information they have, which isn't part of DVDP...? ;)