Author Topic: A sad and nostaligc post.  (Read 2055 times)

Touti

A sad and nostaligc post.
« on: July 18, 2007, 07:38:30 AM »
Today I sold my musical instruments.  A 12 strings Fender acoustic guitar and two mandolins.  It took me over a year to finally convince myself.  I've had the two mandolins for 6 and 7 years, the guitar had been with me for more than 15 years and has seen more of my blues than any human being.

I was obviously sad when I left the store where I sold them so I decided to invest some of the money I got in two bottles of good wine.  Now it's past 1:30am, I'm drunk, still a bit sad, listening to some music and a thought crosses my mind.

If we're a bunch of movie lovers, we're a bunch of art lovers therefore we also love music.  If we like movies from different countries and cultures we must also like music from different countries and culture.

Hence that thread.  What music or artist from another country/culture do you like?  Of course I can't ask that kind of questions without answering it myself so here are my 3 favorites.

1: Anouk, Netherlands. 
As a mandolin player I can't be insensitive to REM's "Losing my religion" and, as a musician and music lover for over 40 years I can't be indifferent to versions of the songs I like so I often spend time on internet searching for new versions of my favourite songs.  Doing this one night on Napster, I searched for "Losing my Religion" and ended up on a version from Anouk.  I fell for her voice immediately so I looked up for more and ended up buyin an album from her called "Update" which consists of unplugged versions of her songs.  Beautiful voice, beautiful songs, I'm still in love with her music and the way she sings after 1 year.

Artist: Anouk
Album: Update
My song: Margarita chum (Acoustic)
Web: Anouk.com and Anouk.nl

2: Geoffrey Oryema, Africa.
I used to call my sister and ask if she would mind a lot if I went to "bug her in her own home".  Obviously she wouldn't mind so I ended up there almost every sunday for a while and one day she made me listen to a song called "Nomad".  I was astonished from the beauty of the lyrics, the voice and the arrangements.  That was 3 years ago, the very next day I went to the music store to buy the album and it's still one of my favourites.

Artist: Geoffrey Oryema
Album: Beat the Border (Realworld)
My Song: Nomad
Web: http://www.rfimusique.com/sitefr/biographie/biographie_9084.asp

3: Tiken Jah Fakoly.  I heard one of his song on radio one day.  The song is called "Plus rien ne m'étonne".  Tiken Jah Fakoly is an African "real" reggae singer.  Quite engaged in the politics of Africa and his own country, he had to leave it behind because his life was threatehed by his songs which denounciates the corruptions of the world and some african governments.  Now living in France, he's also one of my favourites "world" singer.

Artist: Tiken Jah fakoly
Album: Coup de gueule
My Song: Plus rien ne m'étonne
Web: tikenjah.net

Najemikon

Re: A sad and nostaligc post.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:29:58 AM »
Interesting thread once again, Touti. But why did you sell them, if you don't mind me asking?

As to world music, I must admit to being rather ignorant. To music in general, I'm very open minded and my tastes cover almost everything. I don't judge it until I've heard it! The only thing I demand is talent and if they can't do that, make it fun.

I find it strange how people deride a particular form of music based on fashion, but that doesn't happen with film. Ironic that a decent film can make previously derided music fashionable. O Brother made mountain music popular for while, which really annoyed my Dad. He was a huge Country fan, though not keen on folk which to him would have covered O Brother's soundtrack. It got to him that people were suddenly so knowledgable of old fashioned Country, but still only thought of Dolly Parton as a cartoon character with huge breasts!

It doesn't help that when an artist covers an older song, they don't mention the fact. I don't suggest they claim it as their own, but they certainly seem to think ignorance is best! Again that doesn't happen with film.

Anyway, you've got me interested in a couple you mentioned, especially Anouk. Speaking of REM, you might like The Corrs. I don't mean their studio albums though, as they're really a rather predictable pop band, but check out their acoustic Unplugged DVD. They do several beautiful performances of traditional Irish music (especially "No Frontiers") amongst their chart hits. They also do a cover of "Everybody Hurts", which I must say I prefer to REM. Cheeky, I know ...  :P

The closest I've got to world music might be Robert Rodriguez! I really enjoyed the album he produced called "Mexico & Mariachis". Lame pick, I know. I wouldn't know a traditional Mariachi performer if he walked up and smacked me on the arse with his guitar! :tomato:

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 02:50:37 PM »
Speaking of REM, you might like The Corrs. I don't mean their studio albums though, as they're really a rather predictable pop band, but check out their acoustic Unplugged DVD. They do several beautiful performances of traditional Irish music (especially "No Frontiers") amongst their chart hits. They also do a cover of "Everybody Hurts", which I must say I prefer to REM. Cheeky, I know ...  :P

I can second this recommendation. The unplugged album is great. No Frontiers and Everybody Hurts are standout, yes, but my favorites are Little Wing and Old Town. Don't know why, I just like those two songs, and they are really different from one another.

As for other world music, right now I'm really into some japanese music: Kenji Kawai (Avalon Soundtrack), Yuki Kajiura (Noir, Madlax soundtracks), Taku Iwasaki (With Hunter Robin soundtrack), and whoever did the music for Neon Genesis Evangelion (can't read the cover of the album, it's all in Japanese!).

I also bought a few months ago 4 albums by the Red Army Choir, there's something about an all man choir, mixed with Russian music that clicks.

I also stumbled across a nice little german band (I think it's german anyway :shrug:), Quintett Juchee. It's a nice different beat, kinda reminds me of the Dixieland era.

About once a month, I like to go to my local Archambault and listen to the new stuff. Thing is, I tend to stay mostly in the jazz section though, but there are some great finds to be made. Can't think of anything at this time though  :-\

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »
It is sad when something that was relied on for comfort and inspiration for so many years, is gone. It is always heartbreaking to let something so special go.  I’m sorry for your loss.

What are my favorites? My standard response to what my favorite musical artists are is to say I love music from A to Z…ABBA to ZZ TOP.

Music, a term I use to be all inclusive, is an essential means of communication. Music has existed since the beginning of time. How could something so basic not have value?

There are physically and emotional responses to music – it affects us on a very primitive level. The ability to speak the language is not necessary to appreciate what an artist is trying to say.

Once again I find myself lacking the ability to adequately express my thoughts and feelings. Unlike many forum contributors, writing is not my strongest suit. I can only hope to develop that eloquence.

Sitting and thinking about the topic of favorites I keep typing and deleting – typing and deleting; how should I decide? I keep thinking, but what about…..? To exclude artists whose music has moved me…well that’s just not possible.

Touti

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
Interesting thread once again, Touti. But why did you sell them, if you don't mind me asking?

Musical instruments, especially string instruments will get bad if they're not used.  I stopped playing a while back and I didn't want them to go to waste.

Anyway, you've got me interested in a couple you mentioned, especially Anouk. [/quote]

Anouk is a versatile artist although she seems to be more inclined to fairly heavy rock.  "Update" contains unplugged and much softer versions of her material except for one song that's still a bit heavy.

If you plan on getting music from her I suggest you start with that album and go with the other stuff if you like it.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
Anouk is a versatile artist although she seems to be more inclined to fairly heavy rock.  "Update" contains unplugged and much softer versions of her material except for one song that's still a bit heavy.

If you plan on getting music from her I suggest you start with that album and go with the other stuff if you like it.

Even better! My favourite music is rock and I especially enjoy artists who can diversify and do softer acoustic as well. Sounds good.

SailorRipley

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »
Man, I'm sorry you had to get rid of those. I don't know what would I do if I had to get rid of my piano. I'll drink to your drunkenness! :cheers:

I enjoy pretty much every kind of music (except perhaps for gangsta rap  :-\ and country :yucky:). About music from another culture, you've got me very interested in Geoffrey Oryema. I listen heavily to film scores, since I had a long past association with the industry (I still kinda do). These have enthralled me quite a bit since I was around 11, and in itself made me very interested in the marriage of images & music.

Some of my world favorites:

Ayub Ogada, Kenya.
Very nice, melancholy-laden songs. He is heavily featured in the soundtrack for The Constant Gardener.

Michal Lorenc, Poland
Self-taught composer, extremely beautiful music.

Wojciech Kilar - Poland
Serialistic composer.

Goran Bregović - Bosnia
Has recorded quite a good deal of gypsy music.