Author Topic: Question about chinese culture  (Read 1560 times)

Touti

Question about chinese culture
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
Just about 15 minutes ago I heard noise in the street just in front of my appartment.  I look through the window and saw and old chinese woman who was digging in my garbage bag.  I watched her for a few minutes and saw opening every garbage bag on the street searching for empty cans.

I picked a roll of dimes that had been sitting on my bedroom desk for ages, brought it to her and decide to wal around the block.  When I came back she was still there and tried to tell me something but she only speaks chinese which I don't understand.  She made two gestures that seem to have meaning for her.

First, she made a movemement with her hand toward the sky of few time.  Like describing something that's growing or that is tall, it's hard to describe but she insisted on it while saying something.  I just said "Thank you" and walked away but then she said "Hello" a few times to make me turn around. When I did she pointed her finger at me and then she gently tapped both her cheeks a few times with both hands, then said something while pointing at me again.

I'm curious, if these gestures have any meaning in the chinese culture.  I wonder what she was trying to tell me.

RossRoy

Re: Question about chinese culture
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »
I wonder what she was trying to tell me.

Thank you?

Touti

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »
She did that before by bowing.  Those two gestures she made seem to mean something.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:32:27 AM »
Only guessing, but I think she was saying,

"My what a strapping young lad you are. With great skin. How do you do it?