Author Topic: French Canadians, I need your help  (Read 2786 times)

Najemikon

Re: French Canadians, I need your help
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 12:57:52 AM »
Have you heard of Jamie Oliver? He's a celebrity chef, turned healthy eating campaigner and he's done a lot of genuinely good work to promote better options for meals in schools. He also did a campaign a couple of years ago against the sale of cheap chickens. A few of our supermarkets were selling whole chickens very cheap, but they were battery farmed and his point was that if consumers made the effort and paid a reasonable amount for better quality meat, the battery farming practice would be forced out of business. In the middle of one of these campaigns he demonstrated "liquid" or "powdered" egg, as that is also sourced from battery hens. It was bloody awful stuff. I could have sworn he said it was generally used by people like McDonalds for their scrambled egg especially.

That was a couple of years ago and the fast food giants do seem to make more of an effort now, since their bad press, especially from the Super Size Me documentary as well of course.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 02:02:33 AM »
That was a couple of years ago and the fast food giants do seem to make more of an effort now, since their bad press, especially from the Super Size Me documentary as well of course.

Super Size Me is the greatest example of schlock sensationalistic documentaries ever. It is just a smear piece. I hated that film.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 02:09:53 AM »
As I said a couple of time... When I was at the university I pass a year on a diet of MacDo, Subway, Pizza and beer and I wasn't in bad health at all (not overweight or underweight and perfectly able to do everything the same way than usual). This "documentary" isn't true at all and is mostly a piece of propaganda, the problem isn't the fast food it's the lack of exercise (even a single 30 minutes walking session is enough to control the weight, unless the extra weight is due to an heredity or a glandular problem).

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
I've nothing against fast food and neither has Jamie Oliver, to a point. His main concern is that meat should be sourced, farmed and slaughtered responsibly, no matter where it ends up. He encouraged (read, bullied!) schools to serve healthier meals because at least they could take some responsibility for what kids were eating. Jimmy's right that exercise is the main problem, but when a kid eats crisps for breakfast, chips at school for dinner and then mum takes them to McDonalds or KFC for tea, there is a problem forming. It's the parents at fault, but the canteens could reduce the impact and set an example at least.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 06:12:54 AM »
I've nothing against fast food and neither has Jamie Oliver, to a point. His main concern is that meat should be sourced, farmed and slaughtered responsibly, no matter where it ends up. He encouraged (read, bullied!) schools to serve healthier meals because at least they could take some responsibility for what kids were eating. Jimmy's right that exercise is the main problem, but when a kid eats crisps for breakfast, chips at school for dinner and then mum takes them to McDonalds or KFC for tea, there is a problem forming. It's the parents at fault, but the canteens could reduce the impact and set an example at least.
I remember seeing some of those episodes on TV, where he was doing this school thing. Forst he had a hard time convincing the school board, then he had a hard time convincing/teaching the cooks and finally he had a hard time convincing the kids to eat it. Real props to him for not giving up :thumbup:

It was funny when the kids at first where flat-out refusing any vegetables, even complaining about them, and then later ate all the improved food with pleasure.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
I haven't eaten fast food for many years. But, I do remember loving McDonald's french fries and Wendy's frosties.

No one ever had to make me eat vegetables, I've always liked them every since I was little.

I think the problem is that the cost of fresh fruit and vegetables is so high many families just can't afford them.

High fat, high sodium, low nutrition things are much cheaper and give the body short term satisfaction. But, these are inadequate for the body and one gets hungry shortly after.

This is one factor in the obesity of out young ones. Of course exercise plays a part but the foods consumed make the body tired and lazy - a huge problem facing the U.S.

I remember reading a few reports that it is likely that this new generation will die before their parents due to being obese so young. Scary stuff.