Author Topic: The "Head Movie" Thread  (Read 1672 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
The "Head Movie" Thread
« on: July 15, 2007, 12:28:45 AM »
Yes, we have a from book to movie thread, but what about the book itself?

What kind of literature do you read? How often do you read?

I am more of a Sci-Fi/Fantasy guy. Ironically most of my book collection is movie related or was realized as a movie.

Often I am the from movie to book guy. I read the Dune books, because I liked the game Dune II and the Lynch movie. I read the Bourne Trilogy because I liked the Matt Damon flick "The Bourne Identity".

I read "The Hunt for Red October", "Clear and Present Danger" and "Patriot Games" after I watched the movies. But I read "Rainbow Six" and "Executive Orders", too.

I have several Star Trek novels (about 30), some Babylon 5 books and all available Warcraft novels.

Of course I do have all available Potter books and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

All of the above should be known to you, therefore I spare the advertising.

A quadrilogy I do like to advise, is the "Thursday Next" series, comprising of "The Eyre Affair", "Lost in a Good Book", "The Well of Lost Plots" and "Something Rotten".

The series plays on an alternate Earth in the year 1985 in the England Republic. The Crimean War against Russia is in its 150th year and Thursday Next works for a police branch specialized in literature crimes such as theft and forgery of original scripts. Her father is erased from existence and memory though he still exists and is jumping through time, always on the run from his former colleagues from the ChronoGuard branch of the police.

There are so many absurd ideas such as the recreation of the Dodos with the help of gene samples and the final fight within a book! I've haven't read such a story since I read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide.

What kind of movies are playing in your head?

And now I bid you good night, because it's 00:30 around here...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

Re: The "Head Movie" Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 02:49:04 AM »
And now I bid you good night, because it's 00:30 around here...

Lightweight! It's about 01:45 here now ...  ;)

I'm a hoarder when it comes to books. Although I don't bother cataloguing them, I have a lot more than my DVDs even. Unfortunately I struggle to find the time to read at the moment, which is a shame.

I like fantasy. Dragonlance is my favourite all time book (Raistlin Majere would be one of the screens greatest villains if they ever do a decent film). Discworld, obviously! I also like historical fiction, in a manner of speaking. Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe) wrote The Warlord Chronicles, a realistic twist on King Arthur (long before the crap film). Absolutely marvellous.

SailorRipley

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:33:47 AM »
Whoa... this is another thread title that got me thinking... "like... home movies?" :-\  :bag: :laugh:

Anyway, books...

Yup! Quite a lot, approaching the 5,000 mark by now. For one, I can never go to bed without a good book, I'm currently hooked on "Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing" by neurobiologist Margaret Livingstone. It's a quite fascinating read about how our eyes and brains perceive texture, color, tone in paintings, photography. Highly recommended if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Other than that, I guess I have pretty much a bit of everything, from very technical books, to novels, a few of the classics, encyclopedias, film reference books (I'm a sucker for those), photography, history, gardening, music scores. Not that much into sci-fi, besides philip k. dick, a few by Heinlein, Sturgeon, Philip Jose Farmer and every book ever written by Matheson and Bradbury.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »
Whoa... this is another thread title that got me thinking... "like... home movies?" :-\  :bag: :laugh:

:hysterical: Can I watch?! :devil: :laugh: Oh, wait that was another threads posting!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 03:45:04 AM by Kathy »