Author Topic: What are the "must have this" for you to buy.  (Read 11179 times)

RossRoy

Re: What are the "must have this" for you to buy.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 03:09:28 AM »
Oh, I didn't mean at all that people who watch dubbed movies are some kind of moronic entities;

Oh I realise that. But I've been in some really harsh arguments between pro-dub and pro-sub  :surrender: And you all seemed to be heading the pro-sub way 
 ;)  (hmmmm subway :drooling:)

Touti

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 03:12:50 AM »
RossRoy, were you joking or are you really learning Japanese ?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 03:34:23 AM »
check out Pasolini's 'Salo'.

Do you mean "Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma (1975)"? Just for the record, and NO ONE report me to invelos, when I typed "Salo" into DVDP - nothing (time to contribute Sailor/Ripley!). But...when I typed "Salo" into  :o IMDB - :thundergod: up pops - Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma (1975)! Does this mean I'm a traitor?!

RossRoy

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 03:45:32 AM »
RossRoy, were you joking or are you really learning Japanese ?

No joke there. I bought the Japanese Level I and II Rosetta discs and am going through it. I'm just starting. I know the best way to learn Japanese is not with a computer program, but it's a start!

Hmmm Does that make me an Otaku? :hmmmm:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 03:47:57 AM »
Oh, I didn't mean at all that people who watch dubbed movies are some kind of moronic entities;

Oh I realise that. But I've been in some really harsh arguments between pro-dub and pro-sub  :surrender: And you all seemed to be heading the pro-sub way 
 ;)  (hmmmm subway :drooling:)

:hysterical: Point awarded!

Touti

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 03:51:23 AM »
Point awarded for learning Japanese.

RossRoy

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 03:59:21 AM »
Point awarded for learning Japanese.

Actually, from what I read about Japanese, the spoken part (let's not get into the written one) should be technically easier to learn than French or English. There's less individual sounds to make up the language.

Now writing and reading....

SailorRipley

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 04:04:16 AM »
Do you mean "Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma (1975)"?

Yup!

time to contribute Sailor/Ripley!

I would, I really would. BUT, you know when your friendly neighbour takes her kids to your home and then you think you two can actually sit and chat while the kids play outside? Well, here's a piece of advise: don't EVER respond to kids when they ask if they can take out some juice from the fridge so they can next stand in front of your DVD collection, take out a rare, out of print DVD from the shelf and try to open the case with their right hand while they are still holding the juice on the left one. It's bad for your DVDs. Fortunately, I hear Criterion will reissue Salò later this year.

Does this mean I'm a traitor?!

In my book, it means you have common sense and you don't think the armageddon will come sporting an IMDb t-shirt.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 10:20:39 AM »
Must have is uncut and the original audio track.

If the original audio track is english, english subs are a nice-to-have. If the audio track is something else, I need german subs.

Personally I still find it easier with subs, especially when the actors are mumbling. I am a fast reader and can take in the text and the picture at the same time. It's interesting, that most TV shows (like Star Trek or Babylon 5) are far more easier to understand than most of the movies - especially action flicks.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »
....... cussing, cursing, swearing, expletives, dirty words, obscenities, breasts, penises, vaginas, butts, internal fluids, pubic hairs, tongues, splattered brains, monstrosities, gore, blood, rolling heads......

Not all in the same film I hope otherwise you need to call your local exorcist.
Why? it could be easily made by Tarrantino. :D
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »
Must have is uncut and the original audio track.
That, plus original Aspect Ratio...

If the original audio track is english, english subs are a nice-to-have. If the audio track is something else, I need german subs.
I seldom use English subs myself, but my Taiwanese friend, who often watches with me, will not watch without them (unless a film in Mandarin, of course). If the language is not English, English subs are needed. German films are definitely watched without any subs (unless my Taiwanese friend watches with m, of course :laugh:).

lyonsden5

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 04:22:39 PM »
OAR and, like Pete, English language track. Since I don't buy "foreign" films that usually isn't a problem.

Not a big fan of extras, but I usually get a 2 disc version if there are both 2 disc and 1 disc available (not sure why  :shrug: )

RossRoy

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 05:29:39 PM »
Not a big fan of extras, but I usually get a 2 disc version if there are both 2 disc and 1 disc available (not sure why  :shrug: )

I do too!  :laugh:

I used to love extras. Seeing how they achieve the visuals and all. But these days? ...

Interviewer - "So, how did you achieve this effect?"
SFX Guy - "We filmed the live actors on a green screen and did the effects in post"
Interviewer - "Nice! And this other effect, how did you do it?"
SFX Guy - "We filmed the live actors on a green screen and did the effects in post"
Interviewer - "Awesome! That takes some gut!"

:voodoo:  >:(

SailorRipley

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 06:21:50 PM »
Interviewer - "So, how did you achieve this effect?"
Interviewer - "Nice! And this other effect, how did you do it?"
Interviewer - "Awesome! That takes some gut!"

:voodoo:  >:(

So damn true!  :laugh:

There are seldom good documentaries out there, personally I hate all those promotional featurettes, right off the press junket.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2007, 07:17:04 PM »
I treasure good featurettes... like the Lord of the Rings stuff).

Also Laurent Bouzerau (or whatever he's spelled) comes to mind, too.