Author Topic: What are the "must have this" for you to buy.  (Read 11181 times)

Touti

What are the "must have this" for you to buy.
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
Is there any feature/content that a DVD must have for you to buy.  I really don't care much about features and commentary but there's 2 things that have to be there.

1: It must be the original aspect ratio.  I'm very careful now not to buy P&S, done that mistake too many times.
2: It must include the original language track and, if it's one I don't understand, it has to have sub-titles.  I never watch dubbed version.  I watched "The Fall" and "Das Boot" in german with english or french (depending on availability) sub-titles. 

SailorRipley

Re: What are the "must have this" for you to buy.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »
Well, there are some features I definitely love (I'm a sucker for commentaries) but they're usually not a requirement to buy movies. I most definitely prefer features, but if there is a movie I love with no extras whatsoever, I think I can live with that (for a while).

However, like yourself, there are things they definitely must have.

1. Original Aspect Ratio. If it's P&S, no way, I'm not getting near your movie if it's in P&S. I still don't know why they keep making these? Are there that many people in the world that still scream out: "Aaaah, I have black bars on my TV, there's something wrong!!!"?

2. Why is Zhang Ziyi all of a sudden sounding like Michelle Pfeiffer? What kind of aberration is that? Original language only, :thanks:.

3. Uncut please. There's nothing I despise more than a butchered film. I want all the cussing, cursing, swearing, expletives, dirty words, obscenities, breasts, penises, vaginas, butts, internal fluids, pubic hairs, tongues, splattered brains, monstrosities, gore, blood, rolling heads. Everything that was intended for the film in the first place. If I hear a single ""Yippee-ki-yay, Mister Chicken!", I'm going to throw that shiny little disc out the window.

:-\ I think that is all.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:23:10 PM »
....... cussing, cursing, swearing, expletives, dirty words, obscenities, breasts, penises, vaginas, butts, internal fluids, pubic hairs, tongues, splattered brains, monstrosities, gore, blood, rolling heads......

Not all in the same film I hope otherwise you need to call your local exorcist.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:25:04 PM »
....... cussing, cursing, swearing, expletives, dirty words, obscenities, breasts, penises, vaginas, butts, internal fluids, pubic hairs, tongues, splattered brains, monstrosities, gore, blood, rolling heads......

:hysterical:

Where do I get a copy? :devil:  :laugh:

SailorRipley

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:34:59 PM »

:hysterical: Well, if you ever have the time and are in a REALLY strange kind of mood, check out Pasolini's 'Salo'. I think it has a little bit of everything in it.  :-\

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 10:43:44 PM »
Basically just an English Audio Track... I only speak English... and I read too slow for subtitles to work for me... I would be pausing the video every other minute!  :-[
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 10:56:15 PM »
Basically just an English Audio Track... I only speak English... and I read too slow for subtitles to work for me... I would be pausing the video every other minute!  :-[

I prefer subtitles, but I'm afraid I do find them difficult at times. But...like SailorRipley, I need the film to be the way it supposed to be. I want to see AND hear it that way. Do you have any prefer w/s? Does pan/scan bother you?

Touti

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 11:21:08 PM »
I hate P&S but I do prefer when it's enhanced for widescreen.  I disagree with the "pure purists" who say they should have a smal image in the middle of their 42" TV with 8" wide black bars all around (2.35:1) because that's how the director intended them to see it  :stars:

They don't know shit (sorry) about what the director was thinking and in many cases the movie was made wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before widescreen tv's were invented.  I never zoom images to fill up my widescreen TV but if the ratio stays the same, the bigger the better so enhanced for 16x9 is my best friend.

Languages, watch "Downfall" in english, especially the scene where hitler (lowercase h is volunteer, the only capital he ever deserved was capital punishment and the bastard cowardly avoided it) gets angry after he's told that they're losing the war.  He doesn't want to accept that, gets very angry and starts yelling.  Once done, watch that same scene in german and enjoy Bruno Ganz' performance.

There is no way on earth an actor standing up behind a mic, reading a text scrolling on top of a screen can convey the rage of the man the way Ganz did.  People dubbing movies don't act, they can't concentrate on the scene because they're busy reading and trying to pronounce the syllables at the right moment.   If you only care about what is happening in the movie it might do it for you but I need more, I need actor's performance and that I can only get with original language.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 11:21:44 PM »
I definitely prefer Widescreen... when I have the choice it is all that I buy... but I have accidentally bought FS or have been given FS as gifts before... then I try to remember to eventually replace them if there is a WS version... or watch for a WS version if there is none yet.
Pete

SailorRipley

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 11:28:32 PM »
There is no way on earth an actor standing up behind a mic, reading a text scrolling on top of a screen can convey the rage of the man the way Ganz did.  People dubbing movies don't act, they can't concentrate on the scene because they're busy reading and trying to pronounce the syllables at the right moment.   If you only care about what is happening in the movie it might do it for you but I need more, I need actor's performance and that I can only get with original language.

Bravo. Very well said indeed.  :bow: Point awarded!

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 11:48:46 PM »
Alright, get ready to take away points.

If the original language is english or french, I will watch the original version. But for anime, or basically just about any other language, I will watch the dub. I just can't stay focused on subtitles and I very easily lose track of what's happening in the movie....

<runs away>  :goodbye:  :bag:

Touti

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »

If the original language is english or french, I will watch the original version. But for anime, or basically just about any other language, I will watch the dub. I just can't stay focused on subtitles and I very easily lose track of what's happening in the movie....

I awarded you one point for honesty and courage.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 12:01:44 AM »

No - come back - pity point awarded.

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 12:08:38 AM »
I awarded you one point for honesty and courage.
No - come back - pity point awarded.

Thanks to both of yous. I've give a point back  ;D

Though I have to say, I do try every once in a while, especially when some of the more awful anime dub comes up, but still. I really have trouble following the story with subtitles..  :stars:

But, I'm working on my japanese! So I may not need dub or subs for anime  :training: (but it's haaaaaard!)

SailorRipley

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 02:36:49 AM »

Oh, I didn't mean at all that people who watch dubbed movies are some kind of moronic entities; I can certainly understand that it can be hard to read-and-watch. That's just probably something to get used to, but if you do it constantly, you'll see that at some point you won't even think about the subtitles at all and in return you'll get the original intention of the performers. ;)

I agree with Touti. There's no shame in honesty. Point awarded. :)