Author Topic: An important matter we haven't discussed yet  (Read 4995 times)

Touti

An important matter we haven't discussed yet
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:18:09 PM »
Popcorn

The 2nd most important thing for the real collector.  What are your views on it.  Do you eat some when watching your movies (Yes, they're meant to be watched, try opening that strange black thing, there's a disc inside  :o)

Do you make it before the movie or during a pause. 
Do you eat it straight or do you add seasoning (and which one)
Do you like the micro-wave type, those you put on the stove or do you own hot air corn popper ?

This has to be the most useless thread I have started yet !

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: An important matter we haven't discussed yet
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:38:39 PM »
Sometimes I buy some in the cinema. But never at home. I don't even have a microwave. I had one once but seldom used it and got rid of it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:45:36 PM »
Popcorn
I rarely do have popcorn while watching a movie. I love popcorn though. Actually, each time such a thread/discussion comes up, I always wonder why I don't have popcorn handy while watching a movie.

Do you make it before the movie or during a pause. 
When I do have some though, I always make it before the movie. I never stop a movie midway, unless there's something completely out of my control that comes up.

Do you eat it straight or do you add seasoning (and which one)
The only way to eat popcorn: buttered and salted. The only other way I like it, is caramel coated. Anything else is heresy (except without anything added, that's ok too)

Do you like the micro-wave type, those you put on the stove or do you own hot air corn popper ?
The best: Kernels in a hot air popper (which I do have). Second best, stove top with a little olive oil.

As an extreme last resort: microwave type. I just can't stand it. It smells bad/artificial, tastes bad/artificial, that pad in there can't be good for your health either. Just read the ingredients on those things. Such a long list for such a simple snack? can't be good!  :thumbdown:

This has to be the most useless thread I have started yet !
Nah, I've seen much, much worse*, but not from you**! Besides, it's a fun topic, and all too often not taken seriously enough. Popcorn is serious business! Especially for movie fans! ;)

* No, I ain't giving subjects (but the Invelos forums are full of it).
** No, I ain't giving names.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:47:16 PM by RossRoy »

lyonsden5

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 09:06:54 PM »
The missus can't watch a movie without Popcorn. Doesn't matter what kind. She likes it all.

I like it but it's not a requirement, unless I go to the movies, which I haven't done in three years, and only twice in five years.  :tv:

Sometimes I like to put some cheese on it. Even Parmesan works.  :thumbup:

As far as stopping a movie... depends on the movie (and if I have to go to the bathroom  :bag: )

Touti

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »
I see we have some real "connaisseurs" here.

I like trying new recipes, tonight I'm gonna try Weight Watcher's SouthWestern Spiced Popcorn

8 Cups of air-popped Popcorn
Nonstick Spray
2tsp Chili Powder
1tsp Ground Cumin
1tsp Paprika (Preferably smoked Paprika)
1tsp Salt
1/2tsp Garlic power

Place the popped corn in a large bowl, spray with nonstick spray, toss well.  In a smal bowl stir together the ingredients. Sprinkle over the pop corn, tossing all the while until well coated.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »
ahhh.... yes... I must have my popcorn. Though I am funny when it comes to it. I only get Microwave popcorn... as it is the quickest to make... and to me popcorn is something that is meant to be extremely cheap. I don't feel it is worth the money to buy those box where you get 4 bags for $3 to $4. Nope... not me. I only buy big boxes of Pop Weaver... 15 bags in a box at Walmart for only $2.77... and I must get the extra butter flavor... never add any other seasonings. Matter of fact I went to Walmart todayt and bought 2 boxes... yes that is 30 bags to tide me over.

as for my ritual... I always do it in these steps..
- Decide on a movie/show
- pop my popcorn/ pick out whatever I want to drink
- put the disc in
- enjoy the movie and popcorn

Pete

Touti

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 09:56:23 PM »
as for my ritual... I always do it in these steps..
- Decide on a movie/show
- pop my popcorn/ pick out whatever I want to drink
- put the disc in
- enjoy the movie and popcorn

I always put the disc in before, my kitchen is close to the living room so I can turn up the volume and while I make my popcorn I can hear the music that plays in the background of the menus.  It's kind of a teaser and it often starts putting me in the mood of the movie.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »
lol... that is understandable... but the room I watch my movies in is on the other side of the house from the kitchen. And I don't think my family would be too happy with me cranking up the surround sound just for that!  :P
Pete

Touti

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 10:12:49 PM »
You need to wire from the living room to the kitchen and install speakers there.  Every true collector must have a Popcorn channel on his/her sound system.  :yu:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 10:25:19 PM »
LOL.... I need a whole new surround sound system first!  :P Yopu wouldn't believe how old abnd out of date mine actually is!  :bag:
Pete

SailorRipley

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 04:34:30 AM »
Well, as strange as it may sound, I almost never eat anything while watching a movie at home. I'm not sure why. At most I only have a glass of vodka.

On the other hand, if I go to the theater I always get me some popcorn. If I don't touch a single popcorn out of the bucket, it means the movie was pretty good.

Touti

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
.... tonight I'm gonna try Weight Watcher's SouthWestern Spiced Popcorn

I can tell you.....it's not the movie that'll make you sweat ;)

Touti

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 04:27:01 PM »
I found this interesting site for those who want to add popcorn (and other) machines to their home theatre room.

http://www.popcornmachinesdirect.com/

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 04:33:15 PM »
Popcorn: Cook on the stove in oil (preferably peanut). Add butter and salt. Indulge.

Microwave popcorn - insert: smilie shivering in horror. Actually this one's pretty good if it would stay green - :weirdo:

Worried about calories? Take a walk!

Halo2

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 03:24:57 AM »
Well, I have a comercial popper that was in an auction at a military base I was stationed at in the early 80s. They had renovated their theater and accidentally ordered 5 when they only could use 2. Only paid $20 for it and it makes popcorn that rivals any theater. Best purchase I've made when it comes to appliences.