Author Topic: Lightscribe-enabled burners  (Read 1363 times)

RossRoy

Lightscribe-enabled burners
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
A colleague at work asked my if I could take his vacation picture, and turn them into a slideshow DVD with transition effects and music. Of course I said yes, it's so easy to do and I like doing it. Thing is, he also asked if I could make a nice label for it. Of course I immediately told him I wouldn't put a sticker on a DVD personally, because it might ruin it. Also, I'm not a big fan of markers, but it's still better than a glued on label.

I had heard about Lightscribe technology, where you burn the data side, then flip the disc over, and burn a label unto it, but I had never seen it in action, nor what kind of results to expect. And anyway, didn't have access to any burners with that technology.

Fast forward a few weeks, and a friend of mine asks me to rebuild his old computer to use solely as an internet access point for his grand children, and also a computer where they can install games and such. He also asked me for an easy way to restore the PC to its original, fresh state. That means a drive image. Thing is, a fully installed Windows XP with all updates & Microsoft Office easily takes more space than is available on a CD. So he said he wouldn't mind getting a DVD reader for it, so I could create an image on DVD. So I took my chance. I told him I'd buy myself a brand new Lightscribe burner, and give him my old DVD burner. He agreed.

So, I am now the proud owner of a nice Lightscribe enabled burner! And you know what? I love it! The results are much better than I expected, though it's a bit long at actually burning the label, but still, when that disc comes out of there, it look great! Granted it's only grayscale, but who cares? Beats the markers, and it's much safer than labels! You also don't need a specialized printer to fit printable discs!

I wonder why the technology didn't come around before today...  :thumbup:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Lightscribe-enabled burners
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:22:05 AM »
Do you know what I read?

Lightsabre-enabled burners  :slaphead:

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Lightscribe-enabled burners
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:06:02 AM »
I haven't been able to check it out yet... or see the outcome of the disc... but my brother just recently bought one for his computer... he says he is loving it as well.
Pete