Poll

Can I do it?... Can I go without watching any Horror Movies till October?

Of Course! Anyone that can have a record such as your last Horror/Halloween Marathon can do anything!
3 (17.6%)
Who are you Kidding?... There is no way in Hell you can not watch horror for the next Month and a half!
14 (82.4%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Can I Do it?  (Read 38618 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Can I Do it?
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
Sounds good... hopefully you won't have too much trouble getting one per day in... or something like that.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »
Of course I am still going to concentrate on beating last year's record of 84 movies and 34 TV Episodes.  So that means I have 3 goals to meet/beat next month...

1. Watch at least 1 horror movie or show per day in October (I usually am able to do this with no problem)
2. Watch at least 85 horror movies within the month (This one will be difficult!)
3. Watch at least 35 Horror TV Show episodes (I am confident I will make this one)

So are my chances any good? I don't know if I can do it... but I am hoping to meet all 3 above goals!
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
Need to ask... anyone here gonna join me in my month long horror marathon?
I have already decide some time ago to do it with you this year, but it was a secret. I've a lot of horror movies too and many that I've not watch for years. The numbers I will watch depend of if I find a job or not, but I will try to do it like you (writing a short review of each one).

P.S : don't worry for your record, I will concentrate only on movies (maybe it will give you some buying idea).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:22:43 PM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »
Sounds good... hopefully you won't have too much trouble getting one per day in... or something like that.  :thumbup:

It might have something to do with the fact I am still struggling through Robotech. The first series (Macross Saga) was good, but it's been going downhill with the second series (Masters), and I think I can class it as abysmal with the third (New Generation). I find it real hard to stay interested.

(maybe it will give you some buying idea)

One thing's for sure, most of what you review, I've never even heard of! And that's great! New material to discover! (although I've still yet to watch any of the three I bought back then.. hmmmm.. Guess Sinful could almost fit into a horror marathon, if I bend the rules a little!)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
(maybe it will give you some buying idea)

One thing's for sure, most of what you review, I've never even heard of! And that's great! New material to discover! (although I've still yet to watch any of the three I bought back then.. hmmmm.. Guess Sinful could almost fit into a horror marathon, if I bend the rules a little!)
Many of my horror movies are mainstream (I think) since most of them are the first dvd that I've bought. Sure I've some unknown one like Last House on Dead Street and Zombiegeddon, but much of what I've are well known : Friday the 13th (all of them), Helraiser (1 to 4 and Hellseeker), Amityville (1 to 3), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (all the original and the 2 remakes),...

I'm surprise that you have not watch the three Misty Mundae movies yet  :o 

RossRoy

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »
I'm surprise that you have not watch the three Misty Mundae movies yet  :o 

Yeah I know, me too! But like I said, I haven't watched many movies at all so ...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2008, 06:48:13 PM »
Pete I've a little question. Is it only the movie with the classical horror theme (vampire, ghost, living dead, ...) that count or we talk of the horror theme at large with serial killer movies, alien invaders movies, ...? By exemple are those movies count as horror movies :

The New York Ripper
Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Nekromantik
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:53:57 PM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely count those as horror, Jimmy! :hysterical:

I've always understood horror to be anything that features a monster or a monstrous theme, not necessarily supernatural. Slashers are horrors and frequently don't have fantasy elements, aside from Michael Myers and Jason who keep getting up again. Aliens are monsters, therefore Horror, but as with all monsters, they must pose some sort of threat (so no E.T. and no Harry and the Hendersons!). Ghost stories by their very definition are Thriller, but most ghostly characters can't be anything but Horror. I think you can be clever with some detective Thrillers; The Silence of the Lambs and Se7en have all the ingredients of Horror.

I might take part, but I'm already part way through my Val Lewton boxset, so I may have jumped the gun and end up with Horror fatigue by October!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2008, 02:59:38 AM »
Need to ask... anyone here gonna join me in my month long horror marathon?
I have already decide some time ago to do it with you this year, but it was a secret. I've a lot of horror movies too and many that I've not watch for years. The numbers I will watch depend of if I find a job or not, but I will try to do it like you (writing a short review of each one).

P.S : don't worry for your record, I will concentrate only on movies (maybe it will give you some buying idea).

Sounds like fun Jimmy... looking forward to it. And not worried about the record... if you do more then me... I think that would be awesome! I only compete against myself anyway!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 03:01:12 AM »
Pete I've a little question. Is it only the movie with the classical horror theme (vampire, ghost, living dead, ...) that count or we talk of the horror theme at large with serial killer movies, alien invaders movies, ...? By exemple are those movies count as horror movies :

The New York Ripper
Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Nekromantik

Yeah... I definitely count them as horror. I even include Comedy-Horrors like Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Young Frankenstein... and such! :)
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »
Need to ask... anyone here gonna join me in my month long horror marathon? Come on... who is up to it... all you have to do is watch 1 horror movie per day for the month... only a total of 31 horror movies so it is not like I am asking you to stay with my totals or anything. So what you say... who is up for it?
Basically I'd be interested to see if I could go through watching only horror for a month. However, I cannot watch 1 film per day, as I usually spend at least one evening per week outside and don't come home.

Other than that, horror is fine for such effort, as they are usually short enough to comfortably fit even into a work night.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2008, 07:39:58 AM »
That's ok Achim.... Join in with what you can! :)
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2008, 02:29:14 PM »
I'm in! I hope that Audition will count even though it doesn't have monsters. Best Buy had a bunch of horror type films on sale for $3.99 and I went a little crazy and bought all the ones I didn't have. I know I won't be able to come close to Pete's record but my brother has a 3 week vacation coming up so I won't have to babysit; I plan on spending that time watching some of my new DVDs!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »
Awesome Kathy!  :thumbup:
And don't worry it... I don't remember ever seeing Audition before... but a movie don't need monsters to be horror. Look at the Saw movies for example. :)

In the last 2 months I bought 17 new horror movies and 2 new horror TV Shows. And I will be able to buy some more when October gets here (there is always horror sales in October!). So I am definitely preparing to have some new horror to watch during the upcoming marathon!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »
Audition is definitely a horror... :fingerchew: