Poll

Can I do it?... Can I go without watching any Horror Movies till October?

Of Course! Anyone that can have a record such as your last Horror/Halloween Marathon can do anything!
3 (17.6%)
Who are you Kidding?... There is no way in Hell you can not watch horror for the next Month and a half!
14 (82.4%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Can I Do it?  (Read 38671 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Can I Do it?
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »
unfortunately I can't order any more... but see they have the After Dark Horrorfest dvds on sale... I would have loved to complete my collection of those!
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 23, 2008, 11:55:54 PM »
I've just ordered the Mario Bava vol.1 and a Dario Argento boxset (...). Already have Suspiria on the way so I'm definitely flinging myself into the blood soaked world of Italian horror! Jimmy will be so proud...   :cheers:
Hope that you will like them  ;D

I don't have the Argento set but I've all the individual release (except for one, Phantom of the Opera I think). Take note that the movies in the set are not the best works by Argento, not that they are bad. In fact I've appreciated The Card Player, Phenomena and a little bit less Trauma (I've not watch Tenebre yet). If you like Suspiria (one of his best works) try Deep Red and The Stendhal Syndrome (I really like this one).

For the Bava set I've already told you my impression on the films included. If you like them, I know you will, buy the second set too.

After that continue your Italian exploration with Lucio Fulci, Ruggero Deodato, Antonio Margheriti, Joe D'Amato, ...
The Italian movie industry was one of the best one in the 70's and 80's, there are many hidden gems in this country

P.S. : I'm always happy to see someone trying something new for him  ;D
P.S #2 : let me know your impression when you will have watch them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:57:35 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2008, 12:14:06 AM »
After all this waiting will you start your marathon at midnight the october first?
OR
Wait wisely to start it later that day?

Pete I've done a musical marathon yesterday so if you need some other ideas for your horror marathon  :laugh:

I was looking over this thread and think I somehow missed this post the first time around... sorry about that.

I will start watching whatever time I wake that morning. And I normally wake early. If you look at my marathon thread from last year HERE you will see I started last year at 4am. :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2008, 01:16:07 AM »
I don't have the Argento set but I've all the individual release (except for one, Phantom of the Opera I think). Take note that the movies in the set are not the best works by Argento, not that they are bad. In fact I've appreciated The Card Player, Phenomena and a little bit less Trauma (I've not watch Tenebre yet). If you like Suspiria (one of his best works) try Deep Red and The Stendhal Syndrome (I really like this one).

For the Bava set I've already told you my impression on the films included. If you like them, I know you will, buy the second set too.

After that continue your Italian exploration with Lucio Fulci, Ruggero Deodato, Antonio Margheriti, Joe D'Amato, ...
The Italian movie industry was one of the best one in the 70's and 80's, there are many hidden gems in this country

I found a decent review of the Argento set and they followed your opinion exactly, going so far to say that Do You Like Hitchcock was simply dreadful. However in a BOGOF offer like that it was cheaper to have them all in one go anyway! The review went on to say Anchor Bay had done a great job with the Bava collections, hoped they'd do a vol.2 of Argento and then start on Fulci.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2008, 01:51:48 AM »
However in a BOGOF offer like that it was cheaper to have them all in one go anyway! The review went on to say Anchor Bay had done a great job with the Bava collections, hoped they'd do a vol.2 of Argento and then start on Fulci.
BOGOF  :shrug:

I don't think that they will made a second set on Argento, they doesn't own the distribution right for any other of his movies (I know that they have released many of them in the past, but all the right belong now to Blue Underground and you can buy them at a very good prize ;)). This is probably the same for Fulci, but his film rights belong to many different dvd label.

Since the departure of Bill Lustig Anchor Bay doesn't really release a lot of European movie, but Blue Underground had take their place.

Just read the review at dvdtown.com and I certainly not agree with their commentary on Asia Argento and "The Card Player" is better than "Trauma", maybe they have not understand that this is suppose to be a movie about the internet age. This is certainly not a 5/10 movie more a 8/10 (as said in one of my previous review), but what do I know : I'm not a professional critic or reviewer  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:22:15 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
However in a BOGOF offer like that it was cheaper to have them all in one go anyway! The review went on to say Anchor Bay had done a great job with the Bava collections, hoped they'd do a vol.2 of Argento and then start on Fulci.
BOGOF  :shrug:

I don't think that they will made a second set on Argento, they doesn't own the distribution right for any other of his movies (I know that they have released many of them in the past, but all the right belong now to Blue Underground and you can buy them at a very good prize ;)). This is probably the same for Fulci, but his film rights belong to many different dvd label.

Since the departure of Bill Lustig Anchor Bay doesn't really release a lot of European movie, but Blue Underground had take their place.

Just read the review at dvdtown.com and I certainly not agree with their commentary on Asia Argento and "The Card Player" is better than "Trauma", maybe they have not understand that this is suppose to be a movie about the internet age. This is certainly not a 5/10 movie more a 8/10 (as said in one of my previous review), but what do I know : I'm not a professional critic or reviewer  :laugh:

BOGOF = Buy One Get One Free   :dance:

Don't do yourself down, Jimmy. You've proved your knowledge of this genre countless times in the past and "professionals" often get it wrong anyway. Are DVDTown pros? I thought they were just another blogger site.

Interestingly, Sight and Sound magazine have done an article this month on the best of film criticism. It's very good and they've done it because they fear it's dying out because of bloggers on the Internet. Like us! :P They are right though. They stress the importance of being able to review a film and put it in context, which most newspaper and Internet reviews fail to do. I always say that it doesn't matter if you agree or not, you should still enjoy reading it and be able to learn something from it. 

The great thing about sites like us is that we get to know a more personal opinion from each other and that can really help.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:58 AM »
Exactly 1 Week to go!

As of today I am 59 days horror free!  :thumbup:
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
OK - you might make it....  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
Oh come on Rick! I have it made now... only a week to go? I can easily do that! I will not have any problems from here! I am confident! I have as good as made it!  :thumbup:

uhhhhhh.... look at all those horror movies on my unwatched shelf!  :stars:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2008, 06:58:26 AM »
Even though it has a guy who kills hundreds of people by writing their names in a book and having two death gods in it, I would primarily categorize it as Suspence/Thriller. But of course it has horror elements in it. IMO it would qualify for the Halloween marathon  :thumbup:
Suspense/Thriller I can easily go with, but the profile in DVDP also has Science-Fiction (I removed that locally) which I'll probably never quite get...

Good, I can start watching that series during the marathon then, allowing for something to watch even if time is a little tight...

Which reminds me, I should start creating a pile of stuff to watch during the marathon :hmmmm:

Sorry if I should sound a little incoherent. I am just back from the Wies'n and I have drunk a few Maß  :cheers:
Never been there in my life. Hope you had fun :cheers:

Najemikon

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
If you're looking for inspiration, last night I finished watching Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, series 6. The final episode was a horror special! If I'd realised I'd have saved it. Anyway, it is really quite gory for a half hour sitcom! It looks like it took inspiration from Evil Dead 2. The effects are really well done, especially when Louise saws her own leg off... :chainsaw:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »
[...] when Louise saws her own leg off... :chainsaw:
She did that in a sitcom? With well done special effects? I am impressed...

Najemikon

« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
[...] when Louise saws her own leg off... :chainsaw:
She did that in a sitcom? With well done special effects? I am impressed...

The story is that The Archer pub was closed down in the previous episode. They decide to sneak back in to drink any booze that's left, despite hearing that the place is cursed and they will be forced to kill the thing they love the most. Louise loves herself, hence a wee bit of self harm! The clip is part 2 and you can see the leg sawing almost immediately. It gets worse.. watch the clip and just see what happens to Donna!

When Janet Killed Jonny part 2

The Archer was a regular set in the series, but they rebuilt it at Pinewood studios and it looked great.

Bear in mind Two Pints is a very basic sitcom, but this isn't the first time they've tried something entirely different. They did a musical in series 4 and it was surprisingly good.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:46:41 PM by Jon »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2008, 05:41:56 AM »
That is graphic.

Funny how casually she's talking while cutting away...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
Almost there!... Only 2 days left to go! I have now been 64 Days horror free!
Pete