Poll

Can I do it?... Can I go without watching any Horror Movies till October?

Of Course! Anyone that can have a record such as your last Horror/Halloween Marathon can do anything!
3 (17.6%)
Who are you Kidding?... There is no way in Hell you can not watch horror for the next Month and a half!
14 (82.4%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Can I Do it?  (Read 38576 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Can I Do it?
« on: August 14, 2008, 01:49:21 AM »
To refresh your memory... last October I beat my personal record on my Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon when I watched 84 movies and 34 TV Show episodes. I knew at that time this would be a more then difficult record to beat this year. Well we are about a Month and a Half from this year's marathon!

I was thinking if I am to have any chance at all to beat last year's record I have to be extremely in the mood for horror. For that to happen... I will have to abstain from watching horror for a while.

So the question is... does anyone here think I can... from this point on... with new horror in my collection as well as 3 more horror movies on the way... can I abstain for a month and a half from watching any horror?

So what do you think? Can such a horror fanatic as myself abstain for almost 2 months?
Pete

RossRoy

Re: Can I Do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 03:47:38 AM »
I voted "Nay", because collectors, such as all of us, are notorious for their lack of self-control!  :laugh:

But then, the possibility of beating last year's record (which will be insanely difficult) might be encouragement enough to actually refrain...

Nah, I say you can't do it!  :tease:

Now go, and prove me wrong!  :hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:53:44 AM »
Without horror for six weeks? What else are dreaming off?

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:41:55 AM »
Sorry, Pete, no hope! Did you ever try Asian horror? If you get used to subtitles you'd open up enough material for two months. Except you'd be too scared to finish them... :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »
Wow... woke this morning to 5 votes... and none of you think I can do it!

Well that is a good thing! That is the extra push I need to make it through till October with no horror. I can do it I tell you! I know I can do it!... uh-oh! Tomorrow is Friday... the start of my first non-horror marathon! :tv:

Does Comedy-Horror count as Horror?  :whistle:

@Jon...
I only had a little taste of Asian horror... I have the episode of Masters of Horror directed by Norio Tsurata called Dream Cruise... it is a mixture of English and subtitles. I did fairly well with it.... didn't hardly have to pause/rewind much at all. I also watched the Spanish version of Dracula during my Universal's Classic Monster Movies Marathon.... and didn't have a whole lot of trouble that time either. So I am definitely thinking it is about time to start picking up some of the famous Asian horror movies. Maybe I can find some good sales on some when the online stores start their annual horror sales.  ;D
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »
Well that is a good thing! That is the extra push I need to make it through till October with no horror. I can do it I tell you!
We not only dare you, we double, heck, even triple dare you!

Does Comedy-Horror count as Horror?  :whistle:
Of course it does! :redcard:

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
I only had a little taste of Asian horror... I have the episode of Masters of Horror directed by Norio Tsurata called Dream Cruise... it is a mixture of English and subtitles. I did fairly well with it.... didn't hardly have to pause/rewind much at all. I also watched the Spanish version of Dracula during my Universal's Classic Monster Movies Marathon.... and didn't have a whole lot of trouble that time either. So I am definitely thinking it is about time to start picking up some of the famous Asian horror movies. Maybe I can find some good sales on some when the online stores start their annual horror sales.  ;D

Not just Asian! I can also recommend Spanish with Del Toro (Hellboy, Blade II) who makes wonderful films in his own language. Pan's Labyrinth is sort of horror, more fantasy, but go a bit older and you'll find The Devil's Backbone (ghost story set against the Civil War) and Cronos (a rather different take on the vampire myth, and styled not unlike a Hammer horror towards the end). Recent horrors in Spanish would be Rec and The Orphanage, but I haven't seen them yet.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:47:41 PM »
Pete not watching horror for that long?  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 05:03:54 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice to just enter a Buffy disc into the player? *tease*
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »
LOL.... 8 votes basically saying not a chance in Hell! I can see now that I will have to prove to you that I can do this.

uhhhhh... I guess this also means I can not watch FEARnet (On-Demand) either No Matter! I can do this!!!

@Achim...
I will take that Triple dare! but what do I get if I make it?  :P And OK.... no Comedy-Horrors either!

@Jon...
Thanks for the recommendations!  :thumbup:

@Kathy...
Thanks alot!... boy feel the love around here!  :laugh:

@Karsten...
Damn!.... no Horror TV Shows either!... OK.... OK! I can still do this!  I am ready for the challenge!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »
Hey! I have an idea! It's ages since we did one of the month long marathons where we all take part. Let's all do a Six Week Alphabetised Horror Marathon! Starting now!

:devil:

Pete? You in?  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
LOL.... Thanks for thinking of me Jon... but think I will wait till October! :)

Now... did you really think it would be that easy to get me to stray?  :P
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »

Maybe not from Jon's post, but if we were to actually do it, it might make it harder to resist!  :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 11:37:07 PM »
lol... believe me... I will have a hard enough time making it. I am strll not really sure I will be able to do it at all.  :P But I will do my best.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 06:36:20 AM »
LOL.... 8 votes basically saying not a chance in Hell! I can see now that I will have to prove to you that I can do this.
If you have friends like us, you don't need enemies... :devil:

@Achim...
I will take that Triple dare! but what do I get if I make it?  :P And OK.... no Comedy-Horrors either!
Well, what if you don't get to make it? Make an offer I can't refuse and you're in for a bet ;)

But you'll have to stop fooling yourself by watching stuff like Bewitched and then saying it's not horror :devil:

Maybe not from Jon's post, but if we were to actually do it, it might make it harder to resist!  :devil:
FWIW, I'd be in :)