Author Topic: Whew! Finally done!  (Read 1147 times)

RossRoy

Whew! Finally done!
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:33:16 AM »
I usually take inventory each 3-4 months to make sure I did not forget to mark a DVD as loaned out or returned. I used to do it with pen and paper. I print out a simple list of titles with a checkbox in front and then run through my whole collection, checking off those I physically have. Which then allows me to know what I really do have, and what I need to hunt down.

Now, today, I somehow got the brilliant idea to use my barcode scanner to take my inventory. So I got myself a nice USB cord extension (no way I'm taking the collection back to the computer to do that!), reconfigured the scanner to add a <CR> at the end of each scans, and started scanning into a text editor.

It worked great! I had to do to the computer once in a while to save, and to switch to a different file for those that don't have the UPC, but all in all that part went well.

I then imported the scanned UPC in Excel, imported the XML from DVD Profiler, set up some lookup functions and voilĂ ! Automatic checking of physical inventory. But that's also when the problems started.

I had so many discrepencies between the actual UPC on the DVD box and what was in DVD Profiler, it isn't even funny! It shows that I used to not use DVD Profiler all too well. I used to just add by title without regards to UPC, so you can imagine..

Anyway, to make a story short, I now know for a fact that all UPC match as of today between DVD Profiler and the actual boxes, and that it took about 6 hours to do, including a slight pause (about 20 minutes) for supper!

And that's how I spent my national holiday  ;)

The good part of it though, is that it made me discover stuff I had bought on CD that I didn't even know I had! The joys of having every CD ripped to the computer and played back with Winamp using shuffle on the complete collection!  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Whew! Finally done!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:13:43 AM »
I really should take inventory of mine... I haven't done so in years. Even though everything should be fine... as I never let my DVDs leave the house. But would be a good idea to be sure nothing is missing. (my daughter tends to take from my collection to add to her collection!)  :P
Pete