Author Topic: How do you review DVDs ?  (Read 2193 times)

Touti

How do you review DVDs ?
« on: May 19, 2007, 07:18:41 PM »
As you've all probably seen, I created the DVD Review sections but nobody (me included) has posted anything in it yet.  As I'm asking myself why I haven't done so I realize that it's because I have no idea how to do it.

So how do you do it, what are the criterias your looking at, on what do you base your decision to rate each part, what makes a dvd good or bad for you ?

And most important, have you ever published any dvd review on other sites and, if so, do you have a structure that you follow or do you simply write it as it comes to you ?

TheMovieman

Re: How do you review DVDs ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:40:18 AM »
For me, I place special emphasis on the special features (probably equal to the film) and then the sound and picture comes next (but not as important unless there are obvious flaws). If the special features are sparce, unless the movie is pretty damn good, I usually give the overall DVD a low rating. Of course, each person is different. Some find the value in special features while others just want the movie.

So far I think I've done probably over 100 so far for my own site.

If it's OK with you Touti, may I post the link to my DVD reviews archive? This page has links to my review plus the others who also write them.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 01:44:35 AM »
If it's OK with you Touti, may I post the link to my DVD reviews archive? This page has links to my review plus the others who also write them.

Of course it is okay.  I'm not trying to compete with anyone ;)

TheMovieman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 01:46:13 AM »
lol. I like to ask before hand.

BTW, I've posted my review of Hannibal Rising in the Region 1 section...

Here's the DVD index:
http://www.moviemansguide.com/reviewindex.php?type=dvd

If I have the time, I'll post a couple recent one's here as well.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »
I did a few reviews here so far... and still trying to find a format I am comfortable with... but think I will drop the picture/sound quality as I have sub-par equipment to go by... what I see/hear could be much different then what people with standard or above standard equipment may.

but the question then comes up...
Would you all still be interested in a review of the movie/show and extras without all the technical information?
Pete

Touti

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
I did a few reviews here so far... and still trying to find a format I am comfortable with... but think I will drop the picture/sound quality as I have sub-par equipment to go by... what I see/hear could be much different then what people with standard or above standard equipment may.

but the question then comes up...
Would you all still be interested in a review of the movie/show and extras without all the technical information?

Of course.  And without actually commenting on the quality of the sound tracks, you can keep it there and just quickly list the types and languages available so people won't have to lookup somewhere else.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »
This is true  :)
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 06:13:54 PM »
From what I've read I like the comments. Personally I'm more interested in what you think of the movie/show compared to the tech specs BUT even on "sub par" equipment you can tell if something really looks or sounds good. . I guess I fall in the "Just do whatever you want as long as you keep the reviews coming" camp :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 09:22:03 PM »
lol... will do Rick :)
Pete