Author Topic: What to do with the site.  (Read 6976 times)

Telecine

Re: What to do with the site.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 01:19:42 AM »

Telecine, I will be more than happy to open a DVD Review category but I'd like to organize it in a way that it's easily searchable, any thoughts on that ?

I think that we could just start will an alphabetised list. DVDBeaver.com isn't any more sophisticated than that and is one of the best resources going around with a large user base. Almost anything else will require a database.

Touti

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 01:44:39 AM »
Should we just dump everything in one big section or should we break it down by region, like I had done for the profile trading sections.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 02:27:32 AM »
I'd like a section here that can be a place for to ask about DVDP issues they might be having.

I have never really done too much with the program other than add my collection.  But when I do have a problem and ask on the main forum (it seems to me) that I'm made feel like a total dumbass, by some of the more seasoned users.

So an area where newcommers and less technically minded users can be free to ask even the most basic questions (without condescending replies).

Oh yeah, Touti.  I'd like you to keep this site going as an awful lpt of the old B/S seems to be returning on the main boards.  I get enough at work, I want to surf and chill.

Touti

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 02:50:48 AM »
I'd like a section here that can be a place for to ask about DVDP issues they might be having.

I have never really done too much with the program other than add my collection.  But when I do have a problem and ask on the main forum (it seems to me) that I'm made feel like a total dumbass, by some of the more seasoned users.

So an area where newcommers and less technically minded users can be free to ask even the most basic questions (without condescending replies).

I think the "Software" forum in the "DVD Talk" is just the right place for that.......and you can ask about CD Profiler anytime you want  ;D

xyrano

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 04:34:58 AM »
...and you can ask about CD Profiler anytime you want  ;D
Really!? Hold on...

[post count+1 later]
there you go  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 04:39:04 AM by xyrano »

rp_63

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 02:39:15 PM »
Should we just dump everything in one big section or should we break it down by region, like I had done for the profile trading sections.

I would like to see it by region.

Rob

Touti

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 03:00:49 PM »
...and you can ask about CD Profiler anytime you want  ;D
Really!? Hold on...

[post count+1 later]
there you go  ;D

Oh Noooooooooo!   I created a Monster !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see it by region

I tend to agree with you.  At first they're all gonna look empty but when it starts filling up it's gonna be difficult to search if we put everything together.

boumel

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »

i saw the first tumbleweeds rolling through the forum  :(

RossRoy

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 02:44:43 PM »
Yeah.. Ken, over at Invelos, is doing such a great job with new announcements and keeping things moving, that it seems nobody has time to come here. It's a shame really, this could've (and still can!) become a really nice group of people.

Touti

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 05:08:50 PM »
Time to pull the plug I guess.  :'(

boumel

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 05:43:10 PM »

Touti

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 06:08:29 PM »
The forum obviously doesn't work.  I came up with an idea yesterday, maybe I could turn the site into a place to host blogs for dvd collectors.  I would keep the forum, maybe get rid of a few sections but the blog would become the main part.

How many would like to have his/her own dvd blog ?  If nobody is interested in that either then I'll just shut the place down.

RossRoy

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 06:14:05 PM »
Personally, I'm not too keen on having my own blog to be honnest. I just don't have the words to make it interesting.

But I love reading other people's blog!

Edward Karlinski

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 01:17:59 AM »
I don't know what to say. It is hard to establish a forum. I ran a few years ago and know that they involve a lot of work. I have tried to post on this forum, but there are not many other posters.

SailorRipley

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 06:54:14 PM »
Hmm... I just discovered this old thread.

Well, I think there are still few people here, but I definitely think, Touti, there are lots of options to turn this into a full-fledged site. I mean, the forum is great as is the home page, but in order to increase traffic I think it should only be a matter of exploring what is already out there and what is needed. Of course there are tons of DVD news sites, but there aren't a lot of opinion pieces on those DVD news. Since your site is so much more about DVD collecting than DVD news, there can be content applied to that. You can also have the bigger advertising companies; with DVD sales charts going up each month, of course the market is huge. Have you tried something like LinkShare or GorillaNation? Hell, you could even make some $$$ our of it.

I always think that in a great website, content is king. For example, I did a quick search on DVD blogs, and discovered actually there aren't that many of them, or if there are, they're mostly associated with reviews or DVD news. The big question is, what does DVD collectors wants to see & read. Maybe some of us can help to develop some content. On my part, I'd be happy to help.

What about you all? Do we want to turn this site into something bigger? I say, well why not?

If you're also inclined to help Touti with this, chime in! And also state what would you like to see as a DVD collector that you don't have available anywhere else.