Author Topic: What to do with the site.  (Read 6977 times)

Touti

What to do with the site.
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:46:35 PM »
It seems that most visitors have decided not to come back here since there is no more bitching and whining.  I have to say I'm a bit disapointed, I worked a lot on this site because 36 people voted "Yes" in the "Should I make it permanent" poll.  Where are they now ?

That leaves me with a dilemma, do I close the site, leave it as it is, change it to something else ? If nobody cares anymore then I'll just shut it down.

I'm opened to suggestions and ideas.

rorymatt

Re: What to do with the site.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »
Touti,

It seems to me that every body has turned into fairweather friends. I wish I could advise you on what to do. I belived that this site was a worth while endevor.

Rory

Buefox75

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:25:50 PM »
I know it doesn't count for much but I'm still here. I'm a creature of habit (OCD-type habits) so you've become a part of my surfing ritual. So,  I'll be checking a lot.

NightHawke

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
Touti,
I am still with you.  I have visited the site at least 5 or 6 times every day.  I am always looking for new posts and information.  I am the first to admit that I am the silent type as a general rule.  However, whatever I can do to help make this forum an ongoing enterprise I am willing to try.  I know that it seemed that the majority of the activity here was pure "whine, whine, whine" but I think that there was also a good bit of genuine effort to form a cohesive community for exploring various activities in the DVD/Movie realm.  I feel that a lot of people are probably busily trying to get their collection databases updated, contributions posted, and looking at the new beta versions that Ken had ready when he came back online.  I would suggest that you give it a few days and see if focus again returns here for more general information exchange not specifically related to the IVS/Invelos debacle before you make a more permanent decision to send the forum into a permanent "dirt nap" state of stasis.   Your efforts in establishing this forum have been greatly appreciated by myself for one and I hope others will respond to your question in a similar fashion. In any case what ever your final decision may be, I want you to know that my thanks and admiration are with you for providing this forum in the first place and trying to give a reasonable chance for success.  Thank you for your efforts.

lyonsden5

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »
Hello Touti (and others  ;) )

Just registered today. Could be I registered to a dying site.  :-\

FWIW - I'll check it out and probably add some input here and there. While I agree with a post I read (RichieRich I believe) that said most will go back to the DVDP forum I personally like to have another place or two to look. If this is different and offers other 'stuff' from Invelos there is no reason not to come back IMO.

My 2 cents are if it doesn't cost anything (except time) then leave it and see what happens. You may want to add a "forum request" section and see if there are things/areas/links etc people would like to see added. My guess is you would be a lot more accommodating to adding/changing this site than Ken will at Invellos.

Check back later

Rick

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 09:06:10 PM »
Well Touti, you know I'm here. I've added DVDCol.com to my "check routinely" websites, abd probably check here around 8-10 times a day.

Skywatcher

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »
It's on my daily checklist as well, so I won't be leaving.
As the discussion was very DVDPro centered, people transferred it to Invelos. But I believe there are a lot of non-dvdpro things to discuss on a site dedicated to dvd collectors online :)

xyrano

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 10:27:10 PM »
I might not have much to say about stuff, but I'm definitely one of regular visitors to your site Touti! And I'll continue to visit!
Check out the picture if you don't believe me  ;D

Touti

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:15:07 AM »
I might not have much to say about stuff, but I'm definitely one of regular visitors to your site Touti! And I'll continue to visit!
Check out the picture if you don't believe me  ;D

That's made up, I'm sure you "Photoshopped" it  ;D

No seriously, I'm glad to see theres still some interest in the site and I knew that some of you still visit a few times a day.  Maybe I didn't write it properly but my post was more a request for ideas and suggestions as to what we could do with the site.  I'm sure there's a lot to be said/discussed about DVDs and Movies that we don't find somewhere else.

NightHawke

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:29:45 AM »
Well, tastes vary as to specific interests in movies, but personally I have a great interest in what would be classic movies, films produced circa 1940 through the early 1970's.  There seems to be a lot of interest in the restoration and re-mastering of these vintage movies for release on DVD today.  Maybe, a "bucket" for discussions on classic movie restoration and tentative release dates and announcements.

Another topic that is hot would be the High-def wars currently raging.  Maybe some of the members would be interested in information about the current situation and providing links and information about the on-going format wars. I know that I would like to have more insight into the specific features and technical aspects as well as testimonials from those currently using one or the other format.  I have been greatly confused by all of the hype and "babble-speak" that I am finding on the net and in the stores.  It would help me better judge the formats and possibly come to an educated decision on which one I should choose going forward.

Another area that I would be able to discuss (maybe not as well as some) is the production of DVD media for home movies.  I know I have spent a great deal of time capturing, rendering, and digitizing the old home movies (both 8mm and VHS tapes) into fairly good quality versions on DVD.  The equipment and software that can be used for these purposes vary in complexity, capability, and of course price.  Maybe there would be interest in this area.

Anyway these are a few of my thoughts and suggestions.  Hope this is more of what you were looking for.

Edward Karlinski

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 05:16:29 AM »
It seems that most visitors have decided not to come back here since there is no more bitching and whining.  I have to say I'm a bit disapointed, I worked a lot on this site because 36 people voted "Yes" in the "Should I make it permanent" poll.  Where are they now ?

That leaves me with a dilemma, do I close the site, leave it as it is, change it to something else ? If nobody cares anymore then I'll just shut it down.

I'm opened to suggestions and ideas.

Well, it is tough to build a site. People will always follow controversy, but few will remain once it subsides. I shall remain with the site and check in daily. I appreciate your attempt to create such a site.

Telecine

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »
I think that you should keep the site going. As others have said, it is part of my daily surfing return. I have been busy the last few days getting all the work I did while DVDProfiler was down submitted and voting on others contributions.

I would like to see the site have an area to discuss classic films and a review area for DVDs.

I apprecriate the effort that you have gone to in establishing the site.

Touti

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 01:12:43 PM »
I've been thinking about that request for a section for reviews, that's why I wanted to try to build a Wiki but there's other ways of doing it.  I don't mind doing it in the forum but I think it would be really great if we built it in some kind of indexed and searchable database.

I'm gonna search SimpleMachines (SMF) web site to see if there's a mod that could do something like that.

rp_63

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 06:46:10 PM »
I intend to keep coming here, i have a few sites i take turns going to every few days, i have been obsessed with keeping up with anything new about the software the last few days. I use the desktop and mobile versions, the mobile has a few small issues and i've been checking back alot to invelos to see if there are any upgrades. But i still like this site alot and the reviews on the front page are nice to see, it's a good way to check out info on the new movies coming out.

Rob

Touti

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »
I've been reading through and realized I missed a few posts.

Lyonsden5, thanks for joining, I'll follow your suggestion to start a suggestion/requests section.  As you said, it doesn't cost anything to keep the site running but since I am the host and I have paying customers running sites from that server I didn't want to waste ressources with a dead site that is only good for hackers to try to penetrate.  Now that I see there's regular visitors and posters, I'll be happy to go on and build a site/forum different that what already exists.

NightHawke, I like the idea of DVD Authoring discussions.  You often find that kind of information on sites that are oriented toward piracy and are filled with crap.  That sure is gonna be an interesting section.

I'm also gonna go ahead with the implementation of tabbed views to be able to put more rss feeds and organize them by category pages without ending up with a very long page.

Telecine, I will be more than happy to open a DVD Review category but I'd like to organize it in a way that it's easily searchable, any thoughts on that ?