Author Topic: Bad Taste, Your Views  (Read 2900 times)

dvdloverCJ

Bad Taste, Your Views
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »
This is pretty much for anyone who has seen a film called "Bad Taste" (1987). The film is a pretty low budged cult horror film that is directed by Peter Jackson (who also acts in it as Derek/ Robert). I wanted to ask for your opinions on the film as i am not sure whether to buy it or not, also i am new to the forums so excuse anything i may have done wrong in the posting procedure as this is my first post, thanks guys.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:36:48 AM by dvdloverCJ »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Taste, Your Views
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:50:21 AM »
Welcome to the forums! Isn't this directed by Peter Jackson?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:13:49 AM »
That is one of the ones I never seen before... but I have heard good things about it.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 02:47:33 AM »
If you actually mean this movie, directed by Peter Jackson, then yes it's a good movie. In a sense, it is actually surprising, since it was made mostly from household items, with self made camera rigs, masks, and such. But I think this is what gives it personality. The special effects are very well done for such a low budget film.

It's really great to see these humble beginnings to a director who will become known as the man behind the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'd say his talent is already well showcased in Bad Taste, it shows a lot of promise. And with subsequent films (Braindead, Meet The Feebles, Heavenly Creature, Forgotten Silver, The Frighteners, leading up to Lord of the Rings) he became better and better as his budget grew. But still, he manages to retain this magic touch.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:18 AM »
Be "warned" though, that the films contains some rather rxtreme gore. While it's actually so over the top it's funny, it is mostly rather gross. It's been a while, but IIRC there is only a handful of such scenes though.

If you enjoy cheaply made horror films which are somewhat over the top and some comedy thrown in for good measure, it doesn't get much better than this.

dvdloverCJ

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »
Yes the director was Peter Jackson (typo on my part), modified and corrected.
Yes i mean the film, and i have heard it has a very small budget, however that tends to showcase raw film talent.
And finally yes i have heard its very gory, i have seen the youtube trailers for it aswell. You know when you see a film when you are young and you think o that looks so cool i wish i could buy it, i had that with bad taste. Glad i didnt see it at that age, i would have been permenantly scarred ha ha.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
Well, I imagined you'd know what you would get yourself into... :)

Just wasn't sure if you were someone who wanted to explore "that "LOTR director"'s earlier films, in which case Bad Taste may come as a bit of a shock :laugh:

Hope you can find it available somewhere; IIRC the Anchor Bay version is OOP.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »
I think that it's an awesome film and MHO is Jackson's best, closely followed by The Frighteners.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »
Never seen it, but the movie is in the Chilling Classics boxset that I reviewed presently so I will certainly watch it this week. I already own and like Meet the Feebles and Braindead from his beginning so I would be surprise to not like this one too...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
You should most certainly try Jimmy, if you can find it...

But I disagree that it's Peter's best, that would most certainly be Braindead.

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
But I disagree that it's Peter's best, that would most certainly be Braindead.

I'm with you on that. If there's one film from Peter Jackson's early that is a must see, it is Breandead above anything else.

I have a soft spot for Heavenly Creatures though.. but it's a drama, it's not horror.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »
You should most certainly try Jimmy, if you can find it...
I have it, it's surprisingly in the boxset that I've receive last week. I watch the film on the order they are on the discs, so I've 12 others one to watch before. This movie isn't too hard to find if you're equiped for reading any region disc, in fact a good region 4 edition interest me for a long time. So if I like the film I will certainly buy it.

dvdloverCJ

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »
Thanks guys im gunna buy it :) Whilst we are on the topic of pretty over the top gore fest movies could i ask if anyone has seen tokyo gore police, if so is it any good/ is it on dvd, oh and also has it got english subtitles? Thanks again guys :)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »
Thanks guys im gunna buy it :) Whilst we are on the topic of pretty over the top gore fest movies could i ask if anyone has seen tokyo gore police, if so is it any good/ is it on dvd, oh and also has it got english subtitles? Thanks again guys :)

Not seen TGP, but I've had good service from both of te following etailers.
From Yes Asia
From HKFlix